From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Teaching Theologians Consider 'New Day' in Multicultural Seminar

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:53:59 -0500

Title: ELCA Teaching Theologians Consider 'New Day' in Multicultural Seminar
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>July 29, 2008

ELCA Teaching Theologians Consider 'New Day' in Multicultural Seminar
08-126-FI

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- About 40 teaching theologians of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) gather July 29-Aug.
1 in Prior Lake, Minn., for a multicultural seminar, "New Day
Begun: Engaging Our Wholeness."  The invited guests are
theologians of color or whose primary language is not English,
with a representative group of white theologians.

"The multicultural seminar brings together ELCA theologians
of color to engage in a dynamic discussion about the calling of
the church in the 21st century to be racially, ethnically and
culturally inclusive," said Rosemary Dyson, associate executive
director, ELCA Multicultural Ministries.

"Conversations at the event will focus on the theological
and social realities that contribute to our understanding of
mission in today's multicultural settings," said the Rev. Gregory
J. Villalon, associate executive director for leadership
development and director for multicultural leadership
development, ELCA Vocation and Education.

Villalon said teaching theologians of color "have a lot to
contribute to the mission work of the ELCA.  Their insights can
help this church increase the number of hands doing God's work in
our community and in the world."

The multicultural seminar is an opportunity "to reflect on
how we as a church can do mission more effectively -- honoring
and recognizing the successes and failures of the past and moving
forward together into the future -- into a new day in the life of
the ELCA where hands of every color join together to do God's
work at home and in the world," Villalon said.

Dyson said advances in the church prompted the "New Day
Begun" theme.  When the ELCA formed in 1988 "you could count the
number of theologians (of color) on one hand.  Now we have more
than 40," she said.

"The growth in the number of theologians of color,
multicultural leaders and multicultural congregations signals a
new day has begun in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,"
Dyson said.  "The new day gives us an opportunity for
celebration, reclaiming and claiming anew our gifts for the
wholeness of our communities and the ELCA."

The first multicultural seminar, in October 2004, celebrated
the teaching ministry of the Rev. Albert "Pete" Pero, emeritus
professor of systematic theology, Lutheran School of Theology at
Chicago (LSTC).  This second seminar will honor the Rev. Edmond
Yee, professor of Asian studies and director of the Theological
Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM) program, Pacific
Lutheran Theological Seminary (PLTS), Berkeley, Calif.  LSTC and
PLTS are two of eight ELCA seminaries.

ELCA Multicultural Ministries, ELCA Vocation and Education,
and LSTC sponsor the multicultural seminar.  Multicultural
Ministries guides the ELCA in the multicultural dimensions of the
church's work.  Vocation and Education is responsible for
development and support of faithful, wise and courageous leaders
whose vocations serve God's mission in the world.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog