From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: PCT issues news release on major flood disaster in Taiwan

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 03:34:55 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>2997 Edition

>August 3~9, 2009

PCT issues news release on major flood disaster in Taiwan

Released by Presbyterian Church in Taiwan General Assembly

Following news reports in the international media the Presbyterian  Church in Taiwan (PCT)

received several messages from overseas concerning the typhoon and  tropical storm

Morakot that struck Taiwan the weekend 7-10 August 2009.

Please know the PCT is very grateful for your expressions of  concern and in turn wish to

give you a brief update. Basically the typhoon itself proved to be  quite minimal compared to

what Taiwan normally experiences, and it was soon downgraded to a  tropical storm but

torrential rains came in its wake Saturday and Sunday.

The initial reports and investigations indicate the South of the  country incurred most

damage, in particular Taitung and Pingtung counties. As we know,  some areas had their

equivalent of one year rainfall in two days and the worst flooding  recorded in 50 years in

>Taiwan.

At the present time, under such critical conditions and until the  water level decreases, it is

very difficult to fully assess the true and total picture as to  extent of loss of life, or damage to

the land and property. Broken roads and collapsed bridges, not to  mention electricity cuts

and telephone lines damaged, are hampering communication and the  assessment process.

 From what PCT staff have witnessed and based on the media reports,  there are bound to

be villages swept away. It is really devastating - the clean up  will be horrendous and it will be

necessary to monitor and control any infections that could arise  from dirty water, debris,

>dead animals and so on.

The PCT General Assembly is already active and involved in the  national disaster response

relief and rescue work, and doing their part as best as they can.  We are coordinating with

our numerous Presbyteries, setting up relief centers, phone help  lines, dropping stations for

donations in kind and money. Some of you have expressed concern  for PCT churches,

again, it is premature to evaluate the loss of lives or the extent  of damages to our church

members’ homes and church property, but as PCT local  congregations are in many

communities all over Taiwan, this is inevitable. Information will  be released in time.

On behalf of the PCT and the people of Taiwan we express our deep  appreciation for your

concern and ask that you hold the victims of this major disaster  in your prayers as well as

those involved in the daunting task of rescue and relief in the  weeks to come.

>Rev. Lin Tsung-Jeng (Leonard)

>PCT Moderator, 54th General Assembly

>Rev. Chang Te-Chien (Andrew)

>PCT General Secretary

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the  reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English) http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)