UCC - wide prayers for Gulf of Mexico encouraged on Aug. 22

UCC-wide prayers for Gulf of Mexico encouraged on Aug. 22, 2010

August 3, 2010

Members of Florida's 100 UCC churches will gather for beach-side
worship Sunday, Aug. 22, at 7 p.m. to celebrate and reflect how
individuals can play ? and are playing ? a role in protecting the Gulf
of Mexico devastated by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

The Florida churches also are asking UCC congregations across the
country to join in prayerful solidarity on the same day. Throughout
the United States, congregations are asked to lift up "Disaster Relief
Recognition Day" as a sign of support for those affected by the Gulf disast er.

The public worship service at the Pass-A-Grille (Fla.) Beach (16th
Avenue), just before sunset, will feature music, speakers and a time
of reflection prepared especially for the event, said the Rev. Kent
Siladi, Florida Conference Minister.

"This will be a time of reflection as well as encouragement, as we
recall our responsibility to be stewards of God's creation," Siladi
said. Representatives from the UCC's national staff also will attend.

Siladi said the worship service hopes to address five expressed
concerns: to identify and claim the church's source of all hope, to
demonstrate the widespread concern of all UCC members, to declare the
UCC's commitment to long-term recovery, to respond to people's anger
and depression, and to strengthen resolve to end our dependence on oil.

Florence Coppola, the UCC's national disaster recovery coordinator, is
encouraging UCC churches across the country to get involved and to
send stories and photos of churches' creative support to coppolaf@ucc.org.

"We want to encourage all of our churches in the U.S. to do some type
of worship event on the same day and to let us know what you did to
express your support for those affected in and along the Gulf of
Mexico," Coppola said.

At Emmanuel UCC in Sebring, Fla., church members have planned a
weeklong schedule of nightly services to address issues, encourage
lament, and seek forgiveness and reconciliation between community
members and area BP station owners, says church member Joyce A.
Gordon. The week's schedule culminates in participation with the
larger UCC beach gathering.

The order of worship for the Aug. 22 beach service is being made
available early to assist churches nationwide who can utilize elements
in their worship planning for the day. A special hymn for the
occasion, O Gracious Maker, has been written by John H. Danner.