[ENS] In California, thousands celebrate as Proposition 8 overturned

>Episcopal News Service
>August 5, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - In California, thousands celebrate as Proposition 8
overturned
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - IOWA: State's first woman chaplain heads to
Afghanistan
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - PENNSYLVANIA: Court rules in favor of Charles
Bennison
* WORLD REPORT - Churches remember Hiroshima by urging ban on nuclear
weapons
* DAYBOOK - August 6: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "A New Kind of Christianity: Ten
Questions That Are Transforming the Faith"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

In California, thousands celebrate as Proposition 8 overturned

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopalians joined thousands of Californians
at celebratory rallies and prayer vigils Aug. 4 after a federal judge
overturned as unconstitutional Proposition 8, the state's voter-approved
ban on gay marriage.

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn R. Walker in San Francisco ruled Aug. 4
that the measure "fails to advance any rational basis in singling out
gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license.

"Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than
enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex
couples are superior to same-sex couples," said Walker. "Because
California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and
lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling
its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis,
the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_123897_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

IOWA: State's first woman chaplain heads to Afghanistan

>By Lydia Kelsey

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Martha Kester, a chaplain and 1st
lieutenant in the Iowa National Guard and rector at St. Luke's Episcopal
Church in Des Moines, Iowa, is scheduled to leave Aug. 9 for a 12 month
deployment to Afghanistan.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123917_ENG_HTM.htm
_ _  _ _ _

PENNSYLVANIA: Court rules in favor of Charles Bennison

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] An ecclesiastical review court Aug. 4 ruled in
favor of Diocese of Pennsylvania Bishop Charles E. Bennison with respect
to two alleged disciplinary charges stemming from his response to his
priest brother's sexual misconduct some 35 years ago.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_123938_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

Churches remember Hiroshima by urging ban on nuclear weapons

>By Stephen Brown

[Ecumenical News International, Geneva/Berlin] The World Council of
Churches has reaffirmed the vision of a world without nuclear weapons,
in marking the anniversary of the atomic bombing in 1945 of Hiroshima
and Nagasaki in Japan.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_123923_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On August 6, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 6, 1809, Alfred Lord Tennyson, English
poet and Anglican, was born in Lincolnshire, England.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions That Are Transforming the
Faith" by Brian D. McLaren, hardcover, 320 pages, Feb 2010, $24.99.

[Harper Collins] We are in the midst of a paradigm shift in the church.
Not since the Reformation five centuries ago have so many Christians
come together to ask whether the church is in sync with their deepest
beliefs and commitments. These believers range from evangelicals to
mainline Protestants to Catholics, and the person who best represents
them is author and pastor Brian McLaren.

In this much anticipated book, McLaren examines ten questions facing
today's church -- questions about how to articulate the faith itself,
the nature of its authority, who God is, whether we have to understand
Jesus through only an ancient Greco-Roman lens, what exactly the good
news is that the gospel proclaims, how we understand the church and all
its varieties, why we are so preoccupied with sex, how we should think
of the future and people from other faiths, and the most intimidating
question of all: what do we do next? Here you will find a provocative
and enticing introduction to the Christian faith of tomorrow.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.