Editorial: Enough of the arrogance

      Taiwan Church News

      3049 Edition

      August 2~8, 2010

      Editorial: Enough of the arrogance

      Translated by Lydia Ma

      On August 8, as Taiwan remembered the first anniversary since Typhoon
Morakot, many

      social organizations staged concerts and events to remember this tragedy
and reflected on

      how we could’ve responded better as a nation

      Led by PCT leaders and pastors volunteering at various PCT rebuilding
centers, PCT

      members were gathered at National Nei-Pu Senior Agricultural-Industrial
Vocational High

      School in Pingtung County for a memorial service filled with music. There
was much

      introspection and discussion on the many challenges facing typhoon
victims as rebuilding

      efforts continued.

      Besides hosting this event, PCT leaders also took part in an overnight
rally outside of the

      Presidential Palace on Ketagalan Boulevard in Taipei. They’re concerned
the Ma

      administration’s “Special Statute for Reconstruction for Post-Typhoon
Morakot Disaster”

      policy is becoming a form of bloodless genocide against Aborigines.

      It is PCT’s conviction that the Ma administration’s insistence that
Aborigines leave their

      homes and reservations because the land needs to rest awhile and
landslides have made

      these areas too dangerous doesn’t hold water, even though it may sound
rational.

      First of all, not all mountainous areas are unsafe for living and there
are various examples

      proving this point. For instance, when Typhoon Morakot made its landfall,
Bunun Aborigines

      living in Nansalu in Namasiya Township followed their pastor’s lead and
climbed up a

      mountain to take refuge in a region their ancestors used to live. These
people weathered the

      storm safe and sound.

      In another instance, Aborigines living in Kucapungane in Pingtung County
discovered that

      though their homes were utterly destroyed by the typhoon, “Old
Kucapungane” – the

      reservation where their ancestors had lived – was barely touched by the
typhoon.

      These two instances prove Aborigines’ ancestral homes are still safe and
viable places to

      live. In contrast, the more recent places Aborigines have been living in
after Japanese and

      KMT occupation of Taiwan forced them out of their ancestors’ dwelling
places have actually

      put their lives in jeopardy.

      When the Ma administration began searching for alternative shelters for
Aborigines whose

      homes were destroyed by the typhoon, it consulted experts and scholars to
enquire whether

      the places they had in mind were safe. Unfortunately, it left out a
critical party in the

      consultation process: Aborigine leaders and representatives.

      PCT firmly holds that policies on post-Morakot reconstruction must
incorporate input from

      Aborigine leaders. We must respect Aborigine culture and age-old wisdom
and we must

      decide the future of Aborigine reservations together. It is not our place
as city-dwellers to

      impose our opinions and values on Aborigines.

      It is disappointing to see a lack of introspection on the part of
government officials in the

      aftermath of the typhoon for all the damages they’ve wrought on the
nation’s forests and

      mountains over the years. We could say that 10% of deforestation in
Taiwan occurred during

      Japanese colonization while the remaining 90% happened under KMT’s watch.
Massive

      deforestation in the past 50 years has precipitated drought and
landslides today.

      In contrast, Aborigines’ traditions teach them to protect the environment
because of the

      interdependent relationship they have with it. We suggest that if the
government really cares

      about environmentalism and preserving Taiwan’s mountains, it should
consider hiring

      Aborigines to be guardians of our forests and mountains and encourage
them to stay in their

      reservations to do that.

      It is our hope the Ma administration will tone down its arrogant
rhetoric, take back the now

      infamous “I see you as humans” comment about Aborigines, and agree that
Aborigines are

      also masters of this country. Aborigines have a rich heritage and culture
and they, too,

      contribute toward making Taiwan a flourishing country.

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge
the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)