Aborigines implore not to be treated like zoo animals on exhibit

      Taiwan Church News

      3049 Edition

      August 2~8, 2010

      Aborigines implore not to be treated like zoo animals on exhibit

      Reported by Lin Yi-ying

      Written by Lydia Ma

      Photo by Lin Yi-ying

      A few Aborigine rights advocates from various organizations, including
PCT Indigenous

      Ministry Committee Secretary Rev. Omi Wilang, called a press conference
on behalf of

      Aborigines on August 1, 2010 - a day coinciding with Taiwan’s Indigenous
People’s Day.

      Displaying signs in Chinese that read “This isn’t a zoo or museum. If you
love me, don’t visit

      me!” these advocates spoke on behalf of Aborigines residing in permanent
housing units

      (also known as Daai Village) built by Buddhist Compassion Relief in
Sanlin, Kaohsiung County.

      Advocates urged Compassion Relief officials to stop bringing officials or
tourists to tour

      permanent housing units now inhabited by Aborigines and called on the
Buddhist organization

      to let Aborigines live in peace and quiet.

      Because Tzu-Chi (Compassion Relief) founder Master Cheng Yen had
designated the new

      community in Sanlin as a model for future permanent housing units,
representatives from

      various charitable organizations have been visiting the new community
continuously in the past few months.

      Aborigines living in Sanlin have confided that they’ve often had to take
time out to become

      ushers and guides as result of these visits, which have become very
disruptive to their daily

      lives. However, aware that they’re practically living under someone
else’s roof, they’ve tried to

      remain quiet about these disturbances.

online urging people to

      refrain from visiting Daai Villages out of respect for the privacy of
Aborigines.

      To view this clip, refer to: http://youtu.be/wjOortQ8-Zo

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you acknowledge
the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to: enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)