[ENS] Paige Sato named Seamen's Church Institute knitting program manager / Sunday school teachings

>Episcopal News Service
>August 10, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* PEOPLE - Paige Sato named Seamen's Church Institute knitting program
manager
* OPINION - Sunday school teachings every day
* DAYBOOK - August 11: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Einstein's God - Conversations
About Science and the Human Spirit" and "Speaking of Faith: Why Religion
Matters -- and How to Talk About It"

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Paige Sato named Seamen's Church Institute knitting program manager

[Episcopal News Service] The Seamen's Church Institute has appointed
Paige Sato as the new program manager for its 112-year-old volunteer
knitting program, Christmas at Sea, according to a press release.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_123969_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Sunday school teachings every day

>By Kathy Bozzuti-Jones

[Episcopal News Service] Lamenting to my spiritual director one day that
my prayer practice lacked the discipline I would prefer -- after all,
most of Sunday school teaching stems from modeling a deepening
spirituality from the inside out -- she suggested I try a short prayer,
a very short prayer, a simple prayer about noticing God's goodness and
constancy. It goes like this: "Thank you, God."

That's it? I wondered. "Thank you, God?"  I can do that -- and do it
regularly, wherever I am.

In Sunday school at St. Bartholomew's Church in Manhattan thankfulness,
or gratitude, is the context of all we learn and all we do. Lessons
about the people of God, about spiritual practice and about Bible study
and teen discussions about moral responses as they navigate this complex
city all begin, end and are strengthened by the spirit of gratitude,
whether conscious or not. This is the bedrock of our Sunday school
agenda at St. Bart's. Sometimes it is subtle; sometimes it is expressed
openly in formal and extemporaneous prayer during chapel services and in
the classrooms. "Thank you, God."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_123973_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 11, 2010, the church remembers Clare, abbess at Assisi.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 11, 1890, John Henry Newman died. Newman
was ordained an Anglican priest in 1824; he later helped lead the Oxford
Movement, aiming to restore the Church of England to its high church
principles. In 1843, he left the church and became a Roman Catholic.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Einstein's God - Conversations About Science and the Human Spirit" by
Krista Tippett, paperback, 304 pages, Feb 2010, $16 and "Speaking of
Faith: Why Religion Matters -- and How to Talk About It" by Krista
Tippett, Paperback, 272 pages, Jan 2008, $15.

[Penguin Publishing] Krista Tippett, widely becoming known as the Bill
Moyers of radio, is one of the country's most intelligent and insightful
commentators on religion, ethics, and the human spirit.

The starting point for Einstein's God: Albert Einstein did not believe
in a personal God. And his famous quip that "God does not play dice with
the universe" was a statement about quantum physics, not a statement of
faith. But he did leave behind a fascinating, largely forgotten legacy
of musings and writings-some serious, some whimsical-about the
relationship between science and religion and his own inquisitive
reverence for the "order deeply hidden behind everything." Einstein's
self-described "cosmic religious sense" is intriguingly compatible with
twenty-first-century sensibilities.

Drawn from American Public Media's extraordinary program Speaking of
Faith, the conversations in this profoundly illuminating book explore an
emerging interface of inquiry -- if not answers -- between many fields
of science, medicine, theology and philosophy. In her interviews with
such luminaries as Freeman Dyson, Paul Davies, V. V. Raman, and Mehmet
Oz, Krista Tippett draws out the connections between these realms,
showing how even those most wedded to hard truths find spiritual
enlightenment in the life of experiment and, in turn, raise questions
that are richly theologically evocative. Whether she is speaking with
celebrated surgeon and author Sherwin Nuland about the biology of the
human spirit or questioning Darwin biographer James Moore about his
subject's religious beliefs, Tippett offers a rare look at the way our
best minds grapple with the questions for which we all seek answers.

In her earlier book, Speaking of Faith: Why Religion Matters -- and How
to Talk About It, she draws on her own life story and her intimate
conversations with both ordinary and famous figures, including Elie
Wiesel, Karen Armstrong, and Thich Nhat Hanh, to explore complex
subjects like science, love, virtue, and violence within the context of
spirituality and everyday life. Her way of speaking about the mysteries
of life -- and of listening with care to those who endeavor to
understand those mysteries -- is nothing short of revolutionary.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.