At Ramadan, Christians call for respect for Muslim neighbors

>As the observance of Ramadan begins,
>a call for respect for Muslim neighbors

New York, August 11, 2010 -- The National Council of Churches of Christ i n the
USA, its Interfaith Relations Commission and the Christian participan ts in the
National Muslim-Christian initiative, have issued the following s tatement:

As our Muslim neighbors begin their observance of Ramadan with fasting, re-
dedicating themselves to God and God's service, we as Christians are troubl ed
by fellow Christians in the United States who are expressing intolerance
against Muslims in words and deeds.

Christ calls us to "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matt. 22:39). It is th is
commandment, more than the simple bonds of our common humanity, which is  the
basis for our relationship with Muslims around the world.

Grounded in this commitment, we question the anti-Muslim tenor of actions a nd
speech regarding the building of Cordova House and mosque near the site  of the
former World Trade Center in New York City.  We are keenly aware tha t many
Muslims, as well as Jews, Christians, Hindus, and others, lost famil y members
in the attacks on September 11, 2001. We recognize, as does the M uslim
community around the world, that it was a group of Muslims who embrac ed
terrorism and teachings counter to the Qur'an and Islam that carried out  this
action. We stand with the majority of Muslims-including American Musl ims-who
are working against such radical influences in their communities. T hey have
our support for building the Cordova House as a living monument to  mark the
tragedy of 9/11 through a community center dedicated to learning,  compassion,
and respect for all people.  This effort is consistent with ou r country's
principle of freedom of religion, and the rights all citizens s hould enjoy.

We also decry the anti-Muslim actions and plans of many church leaders and
members, such as those of the Dove World Outreach Center in the U.S.A.  Mis
guided or confused about the love of neighbor by which Christ calls us to l
ive,  leaders and members of this church and others are engaged in harassme nt
of Muslims, and in the planning of an "International Burn the Qur'an Day ," to
be held on September 11th.   Such open acts of hatred are not a witne ss to
Christian faith, but a grave trespass against the ninth commandment,  a bearing
of false witness against our neighbor.  They contradict the minis try of Christ
and the witness of the church in the world.

We ask all Christians to promote respect and love of neighbor, and to speak
and work against extremist ideas, working with Muslims as appropriate, in
order to live out the commandment to love our neighbor, and to promote peac e.

The National Muslim-Christian Initiative brings together 14 religious bodie s
from various streams of Muslim and Christian communities, who seek to enh ance
mutual understanding, respect, appreciation and support of what is Sac red for
each other through dialogue, education and sustained visible encoun ters that
foster and nurture relationships.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of Christ  in
the USA has been the leading force for ecumenical cooperation among Chri stians
in the United States. The NCC's 36 member faith groups -- from a wid e spectrum
of Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African  American and
Living Peace churches -- include 45 million persons in more t han 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office), 646-853-4212 (
cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org