Kinnamon supports building of a mosque at Ground Zero

>Cordova House and Mosque at Ground Zero
>is a gesture of neighborliness and healing

Editor's Note. Dr. Kinnamon's statement on Cordova House and Mosque at New
York's Ground Zero is available to you for use and distribution as you see  fit.

>By Michael Kinnamon

For thousands of families, Ground Zero in southern Manhattan is holy ground .
Thousands lost someone they love in the terror attacks of September 11, 2 001,
and hundreds of thousands know someone who was directly or indirectly  scarred
by the collapse of the World Trade Center. The emotional investment  in Ground
Zero cannot be overestimated.

That is precisely why Ground Zero must be open to the religious expression  of
all people whose lives were scarred by the tragedy: Christians, Jews, Si khs,
Buddhists, Hindus, and more. And Muslims.

No one knows how many Muslims died on 9/11, but they number in the hundreds .
One was Salman Hamdani, a 23-year-old New York City police cadet, emergen cy
medical technician and medical student. When Salman disappeared on Septe mber
11, law enforcement officials who knew of his Islamic faith sought him  out
among his family to question him about the attacks. His family lived w ith the
onus of suspicion for six months until Salman's body was identified . He was
found near the North Tower with his EMT bag beside him, situated w here he
could help people in need.

The point of this now famous story is simple. Not every Muslim at Ground Ze ro
was a terrorist, and not every Muslim was a hero. The vast majority were  like
thousands of others on September 11: victims of one of the most heino us events
of our times.

But for the family of Salman Hamdani and millions of innocent Muslims, the
tragedy has been exacerbated by the fact that so many of the rest of us hav e
formed our opinions about them out of prejudice and ignorance of the Musl im
faith.

It is that narrow-minded intolerance that has led to the outcry against the
building of Cordova House and Mosque near Ground Zero. It is the same igno
rance that has led many to the outrageous conclusion that all Muslims advoc ate
hatred and violence against non-Muslims. It is the same ignorance that  has led
to hate crimes and systematic discrimination against Muslims, and t o calls to
burn the Qur'an.

On the eve of Ramadan on August 11, the National Council of Churches, its I
nterfaith Relations Commission and Christian participants in the National M
uslim-Christian Initiative, issued a strong call for respect for our Muslim
neighbors.

"Christ calls us to 'love your neighbor as yourself' (Matthew 22:39)," the
statement said. "It is this commandment, more than the simple bonds of our
common humanity, which is the basis for our relationship with Muslims aroun d
the world."

The statement supported building Cordova House "as a living monument to mar k
the tragedy of 9/11 through a community center dedicated to learning, com
passion, and respect for all people."

Now the National Council of Churches reaffirms that support and calls upon
Christians and people of faith to join us in that affirmation.

The alternative to that support is to engage in a bigotry that will scar ou r
generation in the same way as bigotry scarred our forebears.

Three-hundred years ago, European settlers came to these shores with a dete
rmination to conquer and settle at the expense of millions of indigenous pe
oples who were regarded as sub-human savages. Today, we can't look back on
that history without painful contrition.

One-hundred and fifty years ago, white Americans subjugated black Africans  in
a cruel slavery that was justified with Bible proof-texts and a belief t hat
blacks were inferior to whites. Today, we look back on that history wit h
agonized disbelief.

Sixty years ago, in a time of war and great fear, tens of thousands of Japa
nese-Americans were deprived of their property and forced into detention ca mps
because our grandparents feared everyone of Japanese ancestry. Today th at
decision is universally regarded as an unconscionable mistake and a blot  on
American history.

Today, millions of Muslims are subjected to thoughtless generalizations, op en
discrimination and outright hostility because of the actions of a tiny m
inority whose violent acts defy the teachings of Mohammed.

How will we explain our ignorance and our compliance to our grandchildren?

It's time to turn away from ignorance and embrace again the words of Christ :
Love your neighbor as yourself.

In that spirit, we welcome the building of Cordova House and Mosque near Gr
ound Zero.

>Michael Kinnamon
>General Secretary
>National Council of Churches

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of Christ  in
the USA has been the leading force for ecumenical cooperation among Chri stians
in the United States. The NCC's 36 member faith groups -- from a wid e spectrum
of Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African  American and
Living Peace churches -- include 45 million persons in more t han 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office), 646-853-4212 (
cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org