[ENS] Walking on the wild side

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:39:50 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 13, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* OPINION - Walking on the wild side

* DAYBOOK - August 16: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Women Food and God - An
Unexpected
Path to Almost Everything"

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Walking on the wild side

>By Bonnie Anderson

[Episcopal News Service] If we look carefully, it is not difficult
find brave, courageous, faithful, and often, outrageous, disciples
of
Christ in God's Episcopal Church. They are the ones who go the extra
mile, provide examples for us to follow, know their gifts for
ministry
and use them with abandon and joy.

For the most part, these outrageous disciples of Christ are not
afraid
to speak up. They do their homework, maintain a generosity of
spirit,
have a sense of humor, take risks for Christ, and generally walk on
the
wild side. They aren't lone rangers. They understand and value
Christian
community. In the House of Deputies, the General Convention
legislative
body composed of 800-plus laity and clergy from the Episcopal
Church,
such disciples are not a rarity.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124051_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 16, 2010, the church remembers Saint Mary the Virgin
(transferred from August 15).

* Today in Scripture:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 16, 1661, Thomas Fuller, priest and
historian, died at his new lodgings in Covent Garden.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Women Food and God - An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything" by
Geneen
Roth, hardcover, 224 pages, March 2010, $24.

[Simon & Schuster] No matter how sophisticated or wealthy or broke
or
enlightened you are, how you eat tells all.

If you suffer about your relationship with food -- you eat too much
or
too little, think about what you will eat constantly or try not to
think
about it at all -- you can be free. Just look down at your plate.
The
answers are there. Don't run. Look. Because when we welcome what we
most
want to avoid, we contact the part of ourselves that is fresh and
alive.
We touch the life we truly want and evoke divinity itself.

Now, after three decades of studying, teaching and writing about
what
drives our compulsions with food, Geneen Roth adds a profound new
dimension to her work in Women Food and God. She begins with her
most
basic concept: The way you eat is inseparable from your core beliefs
about being alive. Your relationship with food is an exact mirror of
your feelings about love, fear, anger, meaning, transformation and,
yes,
even God. She shows how going beyond both the food and feelings
takes
you deeper into realms of spirit and soul to the bright center of
your
own life, and reveals how your relationship with food is the
doorway to
freedom and what you want most: the demystification of weight loss,
and
the luminous presence that so many of us call "God."

A knock-your-socks-off ride to a deeply fulfilling relationship with
food, your body...and almost everything else, Women Food and God is,
quite simply, a guide for life.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.