Join UCC-wide prayers for Gulf of Mexico Sunday Aug. 22, 2010

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:30:44 -0700

Join UCC-wide prayers for Gulf of Mexico Sunday Aug. 22, 2010
Written by staff and wire reports
August 17, 2010

The youth of the Florida Conference's Southeast Region will be among members of the state's 100 UCC churches holding community worship Sunday, Aug. 22, which has been designated "Disaster Recognition Day" in support of those affected by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The youth will gather at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne at 3 p.m. for an hourlong worship titled "Come to the Water to Pray."

Meanwhile, a public worship service at Pass-A-Grille (Fla.) Beach (16th Avenue), just before sunset, will feature music, speakers and a time of reflection, says the Rev. Kent Siladi, Florida Conference Minister.

"This will be a time of reflection as well as encouragement, as we recall our responsibility to be stewards of God's creation," says Siladi. Representatives from the UCC's national staff will also attend.

Siladi says the Pass-A-Grille service will address five expressed concerns: to identify and claim the church's source of all hope; to demonstrate the widespread concern of all UCC members; to declare the UCC's commitment to long-term recovery; to respond to people's anger and depression; and to strengthen resolve to end our dependence on oil.

Florence Coppola, the UCC's national disaster recovery coordinator, encourages UCC churches nationwide to get involved and to send stories and photos of churches' creative support to coppolaf@ucc.org. "We want to encourage all of our churches in the U.S. to do some type of worship event on the same day."

At Emmanuel UCC in Sebring, Fla., church members have planned a weeklong schedule of nightly services to address issues, encourage lament, and seek forgiveness and reconciliation between community members and area BP station owners, says church member Joyce A. Gordon. The week's schedule culminates in participation with the larger UCC beach gathering.

The order of worship for the Aug. 22 beach service is being made available in advance to assist churches nationwide who can utilize elements in their worship planning for the day. A special hymn for the occasion, O Gracious Maker, has been written by John H. Danner.