UCC Collegium underscores denomination's review processes in wake of information from former GMP

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:36:17 -0700

UCC Collegium underscores denomination's review processes in wake of information from former GMP

Written by staff reports
August 16, 2010

The UCC's five-person Collegium of Officers issued a statement today
urging members and churches to "affirm and support the processes by
which we order our common life" in response to information that the
Rev. John H. Thomas, former general minister and president, has
separated from his wife Lynda Thomas and he is now in a committed
relationship with a woman with whom he worked while he was general
minister and president.

While calling it inappropriate to discuss details publicly, the church
officers underscore their support for the processes that are in place
to handle matters that could have impact on the wider church.

"The Collegium of Officers is supportive of the processes in place
within our denomination if and when circumstances warrant situational
or ecclesiastical review," they said.

Below is the full statement:

"The Rev. John H. Thomas, former general minister and president,
has shared with UCC leaders, including the current Collegium of
Officers, Conference Ministers and others, that he and his wife,
Lynda, are in the process of divorcing, and that he has formed a
relationship with another woman with whom he worked while in
Cleveland. While it is not appropriate to discuss details of this
matter publicly, it is important that, as officers of the church, we
respond with truth and clarification when questions or concerns are
raised.  Both parties have informed the Collegium that the
relationship is entirely consensual and, at the urging of the
Collegium, Rev. Thomas has also informed the Church and Ministry
Department of the Western Reserve Association of the matter.

The Collegium of Officers is supportive of the processes in place
within our denomination if and when circumstances warrant situational
or ecclesiastical review. In our denomination, when clergypersons are
involved, ecclesiastical issues are handled at the Association
setting, meaning that the Western Reserve Association's Church and
Ministry Department is the place where any questions or concerns would
be considered fairly and issues such as authorization for ministry may
be reviewed. UCC employment aspects are handled by the UCC's Common
Services Human Resources office and thereafter by the executives and
governing bodies of the employer. The Collegium asks that others
support and affirm the processes by which we order our common life,
even as we offer our prayerful support for all parties involved."

Thomas, who served for 10 years as general minister and president,
left office at the end of his term in September 2009. Due to term
limitations, he was ineligible to seek re-election. Thomas is now a
visiting professor in church ministries and special assistant to the
president at UCC-related Chicago Theological Seminary.

The five elected members of the UCC's Collegium of Officers are the
Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, general minister and president; Edith Guffey,
associate general minister; the Rev. M. Linda Jaramillo, executive
minister for Justice and Witness Ministries; the Rev. Cally
Rogers-Witte, executive minister for Wider Church Ministries; and the
Rev. Stephen L. Sterner, executive minister for Local Church
Ministries.