[ENS] Pennsylvania bishop says he's listening to lay, clergy leaders

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 06:38:29 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 17, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Pennsylvania bishop says he's listening to lay, clergy
leaders
* MISSION - United Thank Offering awards more than $2 million grants
for global, local mission
* MISSION - Episcopal Church Building Fund offers new terms, new ideas
* PEOPLE - Kansas lay leader Winnie Crapson dies at 85
* OPINION - 'Words Matter'
* DAYBOOK - August 18: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "2011 Episcopal Church Lesson
Calendar RCL"

>_____________________

>TOP STORY

Pennsylvania bishop says he's listening to lay, clergy leaders

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania Bishop
Charles Bennison said Aug. 17 that since he returned to the diocesan
offices the day before he has "concentrated on listening."

"I have learned a great deal, and my listening has been very
productive," Bennison said in a statement emailed to Episcopal News
Service by Ceisler Media and Issue Advocacy, a Philadelphia media
relations firm.

The bishop said that he met with diocesan Assisting Bishop Rodney
Michel and asked him to remain in his position "indefinitely."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_124099_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

United Thank Offering awards more than $2 million grants for global,
local mission

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The United Thank Offering has awarded more
than $2.16 million in grants for 2010 to assist the mission and
ministry of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion, according
to an Aug. 16 press release from the public affairs office.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_124087_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal Church Building Fund offers new terms, new ideas

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Saying that much of the financial strain
facing struggling Episcopal Church congregations in United States can
be directly attributed to their buildings, the Episcopal Church
Building Fund recently announced what it called "strategic and focused
changes to its offerings to benefit strapped congregations and prevent
closures."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_124094_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Kansas lay leader Winnie Crapson dies at 85

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service] Winnie Crapson, a noted lay leader in the
Episcopal Church, died Aug. 11 in Topeka, Kansas. She was 85.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_124090_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>'Words Matter'

>By the Rev. Terri C. Pilarski

[Episcopal News Service] "For slightly less than half my life I was an
intentionally de-churched person. Although the faith of my childhood
had been a source of great comfort to me I also found that church to
hold a very narrow view of God. My own prayer life suggested to me
that God was much more expansive than the church was teaching me."

So began my own story at last week's ecumenical "Words Matter"
gathering on expansive and inclusive language in the church, hosted by
the National Council of Churches' Justice for Women Working Group at
Cenacle Catholic Retreat Center in Chicago.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124097_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 18, 2010, the church remembers William Porcher DuBose,
priest.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 18, 1276 Pope Adrian V (Ottobuono
Fieschi) died in Viterbo, Italy. He was sent to England in 1265 by
Pope Clement IV to mediate between Henry III of England and his
barons, and to preach the Crusades; he remained there for several
years as the papal legate, serving from 1265 to 1268.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"2011 Episcopal Church Lesson Calendar RCL" November 28, 2010 -
November 26, 2011, saddle-stitched, $12.

[Church Publishing] A comprehensive calendar of the readings for the
Episcopal Lectionary Year A and for the Daily Office Year One. Also
includes suggested hymn selections. Based on the Revised Common
Lectionary.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.