Typhoon Morakot victims remembered in various ways on August 8

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:42:11 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3050 Edition

      August 9~15, 2010

      Typhoon Morakot victims remembered in various ways on August 8

      Reported by TCN staff reporters

      Written by Lydia Ma

      PCT holds memorial service to honor victims

      2,228 PCT members gathered at National Nei-Pu Senior
Agricultural- Industrial Vocational

      High School on August 8, 2010, for a music service remembering
the 1st anniversary of

      Typhoon Morakot and all victims who perished or lost their
homes in what has become known

      as the “88 Flood” in Taiwan.

      Christians prayed for rebuilding efforts, emotional healing of
Morakot survivors, and PCT’s

      role in both. They also encouraged one another to continue
supporting post-Morakot

      rebuilding efforts through prayers and financial donations.

      PCT General Assembly Moderator Rev. Lai Hsien-Chang gave the
sermon. He underscored

      that our first step is to repent and seek God’s forgiveness for
our role in environmental

      degradation. Next, we must be still, pray, and listen to God’s
voice, for it’s through quietness

      and time that we will find healing and strength. Finally, we
must work through this ordeal

      together as a unified nation.

      Rev. Ngerel from Paiwan Presbytery shared about Typhoon
Morakot’s impact on his

      presbytery. He recalled that as his congregation got ready to
celebrate Father’s Day on

      August 8 last year, heavy rains followed by landslides had
washed away or inundated many

      people’s homes.

      As a pastor, he and his family braved the rainstorm to visit
and comfort his congregation and

      other residents in his village. Together, they prayed and cried
out to God for 7 consecutive

      days, pleading the rain would stop and praying for God to
protect Aborigine villages.

      “Morakot helped me experience the amazing power of prayer.
Though our reservation was

      damaged, no one was hurt and no one perished. Thank God!”
Ngerel said.

      Elder Lai Tsung-ming from Kudrengere Church in Rukai Presbytery
recalled that water levels

      in nearby rivers rose and covered Kudrengere in Wutai Township
near Pingtung County on

      August 7 of last year. Both of his parents perished in the
flood that followed and a helicopter

      that’d been dispatched to rescue Kudrengere residents crashed
in the mountains, killing all

      rescue workers aboard.

      In the brink of death, Lai learned to depend on God for
strength. The flood strengthened his

      faith and renewed a sense of solidarity among people in his
community. Those rescue

      workers who lost their lives trying to save others would always
be remembered as heroes by

      Aborigines, he said.

      Aborigines stage overnight rally and light bonfire in protest

      Besides this music service, Indigenous Peoples Action Coalition
of Taiwan (IPACT) staged

      an overnight, “sleep-in” protest in front of the Presidential
Palace to voice concern over post-

      Morakot rebuilding policies.

      More than 1,000 Aborigines took part in this rally, using
chants, laments, films, and even

      bonfires to voice their grief and displeasure at wrong-headed
and snail-paced rebuilding

      policies of the past year.

      A small band of elementary school children from Namasiya
Township wore headbands with

      the words, “No to forced relocation! No to division!”, and
carried signs inquiring, “Mr.

      President, what happened to our elementary school?”. Their
presence caught the attention of

      reporters on the scene.

      Some Aborigines complained that a few police officers working
in their reservations had lied

      by telling them the rally at Ketagalan Boulevard was illegal
and had been orchestrated by a

      shady organization. Other Aborigines reported the Ma
administration had deliberately fueled

      internal strife and division among Aborigines in the aftermath
of the typhoon through policies.

      The rally began after Tsou, Taroko, Atayal, and Amis pastors
led the crowd in prayer in their

      own languages. PCT Associate General Secretary Sing ‘Olam
prayed for God to open

      President Ma’s eyes and ears to see and hear the cries of
Morakot victims so that he’d be

      convicted and govern responsibly. He also prayed for God’s
mercy on Morakot victims so that

      they’d regain their carefree spirit as they journey on this
road toward recovery.

      PCT General Secretary Rev. Andrew Chang was also present at the
rally and spoke with

      uncharacteristic passion. “The road back home is very hard. Our
demands are very simple

      and we’ve waited one year. We ask President Ma to give us an
answer,” he said.

      Aborigines voiced their stark opposition to permanent housing
units as quick fixes and urged

      government officials to include Aborigine leaders in policy
planning. Their appeals seemed to

      fall on deaf ears as the Executive Yuan’s Reconstruction
Council reiterated it’d done its best,

      to the disappointment of Morakot victims.

      Experts slam wrongheaded policies

      Former Council of Indigenous Peoples Minister Walis Pelin
accused the government of lying

      to Aborigines. He explained that 83% of the budget allotted for
post-Morakot rebuilding had

      already been approved, but merely 6.78% had been spent so far.

      He claimed 3,423 applications for permanent housing units had
been received, but only 2,119

      had been approved. In other words, 1,304 applications had been
left unaccounted for. Out of

      the 2,119 approved applications, only 1,127 families managed to
secure permanent housing.

      Apparently another 1,000 or so applications were unaccounted
for again.

      Walis Pelin reminded the public that Aborigines moving into
permanent housing were forced

      to sign away rights to the land of their ancestors in exchange.
This condition prompted many

      Aborigines to decline permanent housing units. “This government
policy is anti-humanitarian!” he said.

      Another former Council of Indigenous Peoples Minister Yohani
Isqaqavut recalled when he

      visited a friend in Namasiya two weeks ago, he was discouraged
from entering the village

      because his friend was afraid he’d be stuck in the mountain if
it rained. Another time, while

      visiting an Aborigine reservation in Alishan area, he wondered
whether the roads he saw were

      made for humans or for mountain pigs.

      During a conference on Typhoon Morakot hosted by Taiwan
Association of University

      Professors on August 6, IPACT convener Rev. Lituan remarked
that government policies in

      the aftermath of the typhoon turned out to be more devastating
than the flood itself.

      Lituan slammed Tzu Chi Foundation and bureaucrats for placing
blame on Aborigines for this

      natural disaster and forcing them to leave their homes under
the pretext that forests needed

      rest from exploitation. He berated them for lack of
introspection and failing to see the results of

      excessive, though legal, logging policies that’d precipitated
landslides.

      He referred to recent water diversion projects to re-channel
water from Tseng-Wen Reservoir

      to Nan-Hua Reservoir as examples of anti- environmentalism on
the part of the government.

      “When mountains are blasted to make way for construction, we
can literally feel the mountains moving,” he said.

      As an Aborigine who lost his home to Typhoon Morakot, PCT Youth
Ministry Committee

      Secretary Itan Pavavalong has already filmed a documentary
featuring Aborigines’ forced

      relocation. He remarked that personally visiting many
reservations had enabled him to truly

      understand how government rebuilding policiess had torn the
social fabric of Aborigine reservations.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)