Editorial: Living out our confession of faith in our pursuit of justice and peace

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:56:50 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3050 Edition

      August 9~15, 2010

      Editorial: Living out our confession of faith in our pursuit of
justice and peace

      Translated by Lydia Ma

      “We believe that the Church is the fellowship of God's people,
called to proclaim the

      salvation of Jesus Christ and to be ambassador of
reconciliation. It is both universal and

      rooted in this land, identifying with all its inhabitants, and
through love and suffering

      becoming the sign of hope.”

      These words are taken straight from PCT’s confession of faith
and they reflect the

      uniqueness of PCT as a Christian denomination. They are not
only confessions of what

      we believe in, but also blueprints for our actions. They are
declarations of how we must

      act as a church and they remind local churches to strive toward
becoming the kind of

      church that reflects these ideals.

      We all have our own ideas of what a church should look like or
how it should operate. In

      reality, we seldom use PCT’s confession of faith and what it
says about churches as a

      blueprint for our church ministries.

      In an age that touts diversity, we’ve become afraid of voicing
our core values for fear that

      we might lose our “multicultural” badge of honor. This fear is
best illustrated by churches

      shying away from speaking out on justice, taking a stand, or
talking about politics for fear

      that broaching these issues might offend those who sit on their
pews.

      In the 1970s, two movements with irreconcilable differences
spawned within local

      churches, namely the “charismatic movement” and the “street
movement”. These two

      movements later birthed their own ministries and their
adherents stayed out of each

      other’s hairs, but the tension between these two movements is
still felt today.

      In this day and age, our hearts have grown cold and distant. We
no longer care about

      many things happening inside and outside church buildings. We
are no longer willing to

      spend time understanding and reaching out to people around us,
opting instead for things

      that will produce tangible results with the least amount of
time and cost. We actually buy

      that church ministries should be cost-effective above all else.

      But when we look at Jesus, we see a man that didn’t concern
himself with the local street

      movements of his time. Instead, he cared more about “heart”
issues such as repentance,

      prayer, and fellowship with God. But Jesus didn’t live like a
monk in reclusion, either. He

      rebuked sin and rigid religious traditions and reached out to
marginalized people of his time.

      Jesus proved with his life and actions that transforming a
heart and transforming a society

      are inseparable and must achieve a delicate balance. Whenever
he was faced with

      challenges, he’d draw strength from his intimate relationship
with his Abba to flee

      temptation and sin.

      As we commemorate Church and Society Sunday on August 15, let’s
urge one another to

      examine whether our churches are modeling PCT’s confession of
faith. Let’s use this

      confession as our guide for staying rooted to this land. Let’s
rekindle our passion, love,

      and commitment for Taiwan and everything that’s happening here.

      So, let’s turn our attention to Jesus and model how he cared
for people’s hearts and

      social justice, and draw inspiration from him when we reach out
to Taiwanese people and

      society. There are lots of things around us crying out for our
attention and urging us to be

      the ones who will plant seeds of justice and peace.

      We pray that PCT’s confession of faith will not just be a
statement of what we believe in,

      but a living document that will inspire and shape the direction
of our churches and a guide

      that will change and shape the foundation of Taiwan.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)