NCC mourns passing of Metropolitan Christopher

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:30:54 -0400

>His Eminence Metropolitan Christopher, 82
>Serbian Orthodox Primate in U.S. and Canada

See: www.ncccusa.org/news/100820christopher.html

Chicago, August 20, 2010 -- His Eminence Christopher, Metropolitan of
Liber tyville-Chicago and Primate of the Serbian Orthodox Church in
the U.S. and  Canada, died Wednesday at the age of 82.

The Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, general secretary of the National
Council of  Churches, wrote to the church's episcopal council today
to express "sadnes s and deepest condolences on the repose of
Metropolitan Christopher of bles sed memory."

"We have upheld Metropolitan Christopher in our prayers since we
learned of  his grave illness," Kinnamon wrote on behalf of the NCC's
36 member commun ions. "Our sadness at his passing is comforted by
our understanding that it  is God's will and by our gratitude to God
for his life and leadership. We  will continue to remember your
community and its leadership in this time of  sadness and transition."

Born in Galveston, Texas, and baptized Velimir Kovacevich, the future
Metro politan Christopher was the ninth of twelve children of Serbian
immigrant p arents. After graduation from high school, he attended
Nashotah House and g raduated from St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Seminary
in Libertyville, Illinois.
After marrying, he was ordained to the Diaconate and Priesthood. He
earned  a B.A. (Philosophy), Master of Letters (History) at the
University of Pitts burgh; the Master of Divinity from Holy Cross
Greek Orthodox School of Theo logy in Brookline, Massachusetts, and
completed courses and examinations fo r the doctorate at the Chicago
Theological Seminary.

Father Velimir ministered to parishes in Pennsylvania and in Chicago
and se rved as chaplain to four universities. He assisted his
parishes to become b ilingual in their worship and education
programs. As a priest, he served as  spiritual father, counselor,
youth worker, administrator, educator, and, a bove all, in priestly
ministry at the Holy Altar. Widowed in 1970, he is th e father of
four, as well as the grandfather of nine.

Elevated to the episcopate in 1978 by the Assembly of Bishops in
Belgrade,  and tonsured with the monastic name of Christopher, he
became the first Ame rican-born bishop to serve a diocese of his
church in North America.

As Bishop of Eastern America and Canada, he soon developed a
diocesan-wide  program in religious education. Active also in
ecumenism, he has served on  the joint commission of Orthodox and
Roman Catholic bishops and on the Orth odox-Lutheran dialogue, and
has represented his church at high levels in bo th the National and
World Councils of Churches. In 1991, he was elevated to  the rank of
Metropolitan, thereby becoming Primate of the Serbian Orthodox
Church in the U.S. and Canada.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of
Christ  in the USA has been the leading force for ecumenical
cooperation among Chri stians in the United States. The NCC's 36
member faith groups -- from a wid e spectrum of Protestant, Anglican,
Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African  American and Living Peace
churches -- include 45 million persons in more t han 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),
646-853-4212 ( cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org