[ENS] Episcopalians expand summer camps ministering to children of the incarcerated / 10/10/10: Jesu

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:16:55 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 20, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* MISSION - Episcopalians expand summer camps ministering to children
of the incarcerated
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Pope to meet archbishop of Canterbury, join
ecumenical service at Westminster Abbey
* WORLD REPORT - Tutu, cardinal urge South Africans to oppose new
media law
* OPINION - 10/10/10: Jesus with a shovel (or a bike wrench, a paint
brush...)
* DAYBOOK - August 23: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "The Jesus Creed: Loving God,
Loving Others"

>_____________________

>MISSION

Episcopalians expand summer camps ministering to children of the
incarcerated

>By Val Hymes

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Christopher Johnson, the Episcopal
Church's officer for social and economic justice, went to opposite
corners of the United States early in August to discern how the church
can support and strengthen the summer camp ministry to children who
have lost a parent to a prison cell.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_124127_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Pope to meet archbishop of Canterbury, join ecumenical
service at Westminster Abbey

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] When Pope Benedict XVI visits the United
Kingdom in mid-September, his itinerary will include a meeting with
Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams and an ecumenical service at
Westminster Abbey according to the official schedule published on Aug.
18 by the Vatican.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_124125_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Tutu, cardinal urge South Africans to oppose new media law

>By Munyaradzi Makoni

[Ecumenical News International, Cape Town] Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Roman Catholic Cardinal Wilfrid Napier are
among hundreds of high-profile South Africans calling on their
compatriots to oppose a proposed media law that critics say resembles
apartheid legislation.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_124133_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

10/10/10: Jesus with a shovel (or a bike wrench, a paint brush...)

>By Michael Schut

[Episcopal News Service] "He defended the cause of the poor and needy,
and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" declares
the Lord." -- Jeremiah 22:16

When I last wrote here, I titled the piece "Copenhagen: Jesus with a
Bullhorn." I wrote about why international climate negotiations in
Copenhagen mattered. And I suggested that if Jesus were here in the
flesh today, he may well have greeted the negotiators at the airport
with a bullhorn, exhorting them to develop a strong international
treaty to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse
gases in the atmosphere.

Climate change just may become the issue of our time -- many think it
already is. Massive flooding in Pakistan, the heat wave and wildfires
in Russia and flash floods in India have topped this week's news. Last
week an enormous piece of ice -- four times the size of Manhattan --
broke away from Greenland. These are precisely the kinds of events
that climate experts the world over predict will increase in frequency
and strength as the globe warms.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124124_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On August 23, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 23, 1948, the World Council of Churches
was formally constituted in Amsterdam.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others" by Scott McKnight,
paperback, 348 pages, August 2004, $16.99.

[Paraclete Press] Winner of the 2005 Christianity Today Book Award.
When an expert in the law asked Jesus for the greatest commandment,
Jesus responded with the Shema, the ancient Jewish creed that commands
Israel to love God with heart, soul, mind, and strength. But the next
part of Jesus' answer would change the course of history. Jesus
amended the Shema, giving his followers a new creed for life: to love
God with heart, soul, mind, and strength, but also to love others as
themselves. Discover how the Jesus Creed of love for God and others
can transform your life.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.