Editorial: Show some backbone, no more kneeling!

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:35:03 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3051 Edition

      August 16~22, 2010

      Editorial: Show some backbone, no more kneeling!

      Translated by Lydia Ma

      During the latter part of the Qing Dynasty, the imperial
government sent a bunch of youths to

      the US for further training. It so happened that whenever there
were edicts from the emperor,

      these youths would have to assemble at a nearby dock and
prostrate themselves to hear and

      receive the edict.

      Self-conscious of the curious glances cast in their direction
by American onlookers; these

      students wrote to Qing officials about the awkwardness of their
situation and explained the

      inappropriateness of bowing down in such a public place as a
dock.

      An official eventually replied and told these students that
they didn’t need to prostrate

      themselves at a dock any longer, but instructed them to
assemble instead at a nearby

      Chinese embassy and continue the tradition of “kneeling and
receiving” royal decrees inside

      the embassy.

      Kneeling is still prevalent in Chinese society today. The
following story on the topic of kneeling

      was circulated in the internet a while ago: A young man who’d
applied for work at a company

      was unfortunately turned down by the company. Upon receiving
this news, the young man

      attempted suicide but was saved in the nick of time

      The same company later sent the young man a notice to inform
him that he’d been hired after

      all. Upon receiving this news, the young man’s whole family
went to the company and knelt

      before the executive who’d hired the fellow to thank this
official for showing kindness and mercy.

      For human rights advocates and highly educated folks in China
who disagree with the

      Communist regime, this is a shameful story. But we have to
wonder when and how this

      practice that cowers before tyranny made its way across the
Taiwan Strait. We shake our

      heads in disbelief that this practice seems to gain momentum
especially when human rights

      collide with abuse of government power.

      When Yunlin County Magistrate Su Chih-fen knelt outside the
Executive Yuan to protest

      against the government’s attitude vis-a-vis fire and pollution
spewing out from Formosa

      Plastics Group’s refinery in Mailiao, which dealt a serious
blow to farms and fisheries in the

      area, she secured some financial restitution for her efforts.
But her actions and the

      government’s attitude also had an aura of paternalism and
condescension.

      August is sometimes the peak of typhoon season in Taiwan. In
the past few years, strong

      winds and rains have taught us to be humble before Mother
Nature instead of kneeling or

      depending on government authority or help.

      But August is also replete with examples of heroes who achieved
great things through grit and

      backbone, without kneeling or depending on incompetent
officials. They include Aborigines’

      fight against being called “savages”, Hakka militia commander
Wu Tang-hsing’s resistance

      against Japanese forces, Chiang Wei-shui’s resistance against
colonialism, the 823 Kinmen Bombing, etc.

      On August 16, 1977, the PCT issued its “Declaration on Human
Rights”. We know that many

      pastors who’d helped pen this declaration at the time had also
prepared themselves for the

      worst because they’d written their wills soon afterward in case
they were apprehended and killed.

      An excerpt from this declaration states: “As we face the
possibility of an invasion by Communist China, we hold firmly to our
faith and to the principles underlying the United Nations Declaration
of Human Rights. We insist that the future of Taiwan shall be
determined by the 17 million people who live there. We appeal to the
countries concerned - especially to the people and the government of
the United States of America - and to Christian churches throughout
the world to take effective steps to support our cause.

      In order to achieve our goal of independence and freedom for
the people of Taiwan in this critical international situation, we
urge our government to face reality and to take effective measures
whereby Taiwan may become a new and independent country.

      We beseech God that Taiwan and all the rest of the world may
become a place where "Mercy and truth will meet together;
righteousness and peace will embrace. Truth shall spring out of the
earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven." (Psalm 85:10,
11).”

      As we re-read this statement 33 years after it was penned, we
strongly urge Christians in

      Taiwan to rise up and be like those warriors who accompanied
Gideon into battle – they

      lapped the water with their hands and didn’t kneel down to take
a drink. We urge Taiwanese

      Christians to be ready so that we can reclaim truth, justice,
peace and love for our country together.

      Let us follow Jesus’ example when he was tempted in the desert
to bow and worship Satan.

      Jesus replied in no uncertain terms, “Away from me, Satan! For
it is written: ‘Worship the Lord

      your God, and serve him only.’”

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)