[ENS] PENNSYLVANIA: Bennison trial witnesses concerned by review court verdict / The holy work of re

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:54:07 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 23, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding bishop addresses immigration in Sept. 5
bulletin
inserts
* TOP STORY - African bishops, global partners head to Uganda for
weeklong meeting
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - PENNSYLVANIA: Bennison trial witnesses concerned
by
review court verdict
* OPINION - The holy work of reconciliation post-9/11 at Ground Zero
* DAYBOOK - August 24: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "The Shining Light: 26 Children's
Sermons with Activities"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Presiding bishop addresses immigration in Sept. 5 bulletin inserts

[Episcopal News Service] In ENS Weekly bulletin inserts for Sept. 5,
Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori calls on Episcopalians to
join in the current debate on immigration. With a reminder of the many
biblical admonitions to welcome the stranger, Jefferts Schori also
acknowledges the complexity of the issue. "We all agree that American
immigration law is broken," she writes. "Just and appropriate
can be shaped in public conversations in which people of faith do and
must have a voice."

Inserts may be downloaded at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

African bishops, global partners head to Uganda for weeklong meeting

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] More than 400 Anglican bishops from Africa
are
being joined by international partners, diplomats and representatives
from relief and development organizations for a weeklong gathering in
Entebbe, Uganda, to focus on issues of conflict, poverty, corruption
and
disease on the continent.

Uganda President Yoweri Museveni is scheduled to address the All
Africa
Bishops Conference on Aug. 25 and Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams will be the guest preacher at the opening Eucharist on Aug.
24.
Williams' attendance at the gathering marks the first time he has
visited Uganda since he became archbishop of Canterbury in 2002.

The gathering brings together bishops from the 12 Anglican provinces
in
Africa -- Burundi, Central Africa, Congo, Indian Ocean, Kenya,
Nigeria,
Rwanda, Southern Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, and West Africa --
as
well as the Diocese of Egypt.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_124157_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

PENNSYLVANIA: Bennison trial witnesses concerned by review court
verdict

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] Five witnesses who testified at the trial of
Pennsylvania Bishop Charles Bennison have expressed "great sorrow"
that
a review court verdict has enabled him to return to work despite
agreeing that he failed to respond appropriately when he had reason to
believe that his brother, John Bennison, was engaged in sexual
misconduct with a young girl in his parish.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_124178_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

The holy work of reconciliation post-9/11 at Ground Zero

>By Anne Mallonee

[Episcopal News Service] It was a beautiful afternoon in England. Our
happy group of pilgrims from the Cathedral Church of St. Mark,
Minneapolis (where I was interim dean) were feeling uplifted by the
beauty of the Chapel of King's College, Cambridge. We made our way to
the street where our bus was to gather us up for the next leg of the
journey. Behind us was an electronics store. The display was a bank of
about ten televisions each with the same picture flickering silently
through the plate-glass storefront. I watched for a few seconds and
thought to myself, "That looks like a really bad movie."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124179_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 24, 2010, the church remembers Saint Bartholomew.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 24, 1662, the deadline arrived for all
British ministers to publicly assent to the Book of Common Prayer
(BCP).
The Act of Uniformity, passed on May 19, 1662, also required the BCP
be used exclusively from this date forward. The act remains on
Britain's
Statute Book, though it has been modified over the years. On August
24,
1759, William Wilberforce, philanthropist and abolitionist, was born
in
Yorkshire, England.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"The Shining Light: 26 Children's Sermons with Activities" by Randy
Hammer, paperback, 80 pages, April 2010, $16.

[The Pilgrim Press] A collection of positive, original stories and
lessons, with activities for clergy and lay leaders to use in
preaching
to children from kindergarten through upper-elementary school. The
topics generally follow the church year beginning in September and
ending with Pentecost. Among the sermon topics addressed: Going Out
on a
Limb, Your Little Light, Learning to be a Friend, Rolling out the Red
Carpet, God's Stamp of Approval and Are We Ever Alone?

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.