[ENS] Relationships forged in previous disasters help Episcopalians respond to oil spill's impact

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:34:45 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 24, 2010

>Episcopal News Service is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Relationships forged in previous disasters help
Episcopalians respond to oil spill's impact
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SAN DIEGO: Guadalupe Art Program offers healing,
transformation for young trafficking victims
* MISSION - Church symposium to present spirituality of philanthropy
* OPINION - Mobilizing for mission: Seminarians organize for young
adult
evangelism
* DAYBOOK - August 25: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "All Whom God Has Joined:
Resources
for Clergy and Same-Gender Loving Couples"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Relationships forged in previous disasters help Episcopalians respond
oil spill's impact

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Lessons learned and relationships built in
the
wake of the Gulf Coast's ongoing recovery from 2005's Hurricane
Katrina
and subsequent storms are being put to work as the region deals with
the
impact of the BP oil spill.

"We had these rich relationships that had developed that made it easy
for us when the oil spill was occurring and we were looking for where
we
could best make a positive contribution and help support community
resilience and meet community needs," Nell Bolton, executive director
of
Episcopal Community Services of Louisiana, told Episcopal News Service
recently, adding that those relationships have come "as a result of
all
the struggles of the last five years."

The nearly five million gallons of oil that gushed in the Gulf of
Mexico
after the April 20 explosion aboard BP's Deepwater Horizon drilling
platform have polluted the waters of the gulf and decimated the area's
seafood and tourism industries. After BP failed in a number of
attempts,
the company said on July 15 that it had capped the well a mile beneath
the surface of the gulf. The well has been plugged with cement, but
work
on two relief wells to ensure a permanent fix has been delayed until
at
least sometime in September.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_124181_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SAN DIEGO: Guadalupe Art Program offers healing, transformation for
young trafficking victims

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] A huge step toward healing for Magdalena, a
teen-aged victim of human trafficking, came through the Guadalupe Art
Program, a ministry of the Cathedral of St. Paul in the Diocese of San
Diego and the Rev. Mary Moreno Richardson.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_124183_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Church symposium to present spirituality of philanthropy

[Office of Public Affairs]  The Episcopal Church Office of Mission
Funding Sept. 29 will sponsor a daylong symposium on the "Spirituality
of Philanthropy," uniting the theological and spiritual basis of
philanthropy with a useful practicum on advanced fundraising
strategies
and techniques.

Designed for directors of development at dioceses, parishes and other
Episcopal organizations, the event will be held at the Episcopal
Church
Center in New York.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_124200_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Mobilizing for mission: Seminarians organize for young adult
evangelism

>By Otis Gaddis III

[Episcopal News Service] In the fall of 2009 a group of seminary
students gathered around a table at Berkeley Divinity School at Yale
with the desire to facilitate an intentional ministry of large-scale,
effective, grassroots evangelism focused primarily on spiritually
homeless young adults that would foster the development of vibrant
Episcopal faith communities where people could meet Jesus and be
transformed into people who co-labor for Jesus' Kingdom of love and
justice.

We started by reflecting on our own experience of coming to the
Episcopal Church (most of us coming to the Episcopal Church as teens
or
young adults) and the experiences of people we knew personally who
have
found the Episcopal Church attractive. Among the people we knew, we
found that most attended Episcopal Churches because they deeply
appreciated the beauty of our church's liturgy, its sacramental and
mystical tradition and its positive view of reason. Yet, we also
noticed
that among this group there was a substantial subgroup for whom the
initial decisive attraction to the Episcopal Church was its social
justice advocacy and service for the poor, lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered people, women, racial minorities and the environment.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124187_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 25, 2010, the church remembers Louis, King of France.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 25, 325, The First Council of Nicea
closed. Nicaea's First Council was convened; in Nicaea in Bithynia
(present-day Iznik in Turkey) by the Roman Emperor Constantine I.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"All Whom God Has Joined: Resources for Clergy and Same-Gender Loving
Couples" by Leanne McCall Tigert and Maren C. Tirabassi, foreword by
the
Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of New Hampshire, paperback, 192
pages, May 2010, $25.

[The Pilgrim Press] All Whom God Has Joined provides - in one
accessible
volume - a unique collection of liturgical and ceremonial resources as
well as pastoral care tools and insights on same-sex covenanting
ceremonies for clergy and couples addressing these issues. Those who
want a clearer understanding of this subject will also benefit from
this
one-of-a-kind book.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.