[ENS] Katrina memories mix with spill worries

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:04:02 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>August 27, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Katrina memories mix with spill worries
* DAYBOOK - August 30: Today in Scripture, Prayer
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Every Other Monday - Twenty
Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Katrina memories mix with spill worries

Louisiana, Mississippi report recovery and remaining scars

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] If you live on the Gulf Coast, says the Very
Rev. James "Bo" Roberts, it's not a question of whether a natural
disaster will strike, but rather when the next one will come.

Roberts knows what he's taking about. He is the rector of St. Mark's
Episcopal Church in Gulfport, Mississippi, one of six churches along
the Gulf Coast portion of the Diocese of Mississippi that Hurricane
Katrina destroyed on Aug. 29, 2005. He began his ministry at St.
Mark's in April 1969, "right before [Hurricane] Camille came and tore
it all up in August of that year, so I have rebuilt completely twice,"
along with making lots of repairs after other storms in between.

Nell Bolton, executive director of Episcopal Community Services of
Louisiana, which grew out of the Diocese of Louisiana's early
post-storm disaster-relief efforts, recites the events of the last
five years almost like a litany: "Katrina, Rita, Gustav, Ike, and the
economic downturn and now the oil spill."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_124244_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On August 30, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Every Other Monday - Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and
Friendship" by John Kasich, hardcover, 240 pages, June 2010, $25.

[Simon & Schuster] Where do you go when the water rises? For more than
twenty years, John Kasich has sought the answer to this question and
many of life's most fundamental challenges in an unlikely place: his
twice-a-month lunches with an irreverent, thoughtful, and spirited
circle of guys who are members of a Bible study group. Every other
Monday over lunch at an Italian restaurant in Columbus, Ohio, Kasich
and half a dozen friends use the stories of the Good Book as a
launching pad to ask questions running the gamut from "Does God
exist?" to "What do you do if faith fails you?" This group, in
reaching for life's biggest mysteries while standing firmly rooted in
the everyday, has become a cornerstone of Kasich's life, one to which
he consistently turns when the waters threaten to rise.

Every Other Monday is an honest look at how to build faith and find
solace, even during the most heartbreaking circumstances, and offers a
template for reconsidering how we make everyday choices as well as
life-changing decisions. Along with rousing personal anecdotes and
poignant memories, Kasich shares some of the group's frank discussions
on the major themes found in the Bible -- and in our daily lives.

Every Other Monday is a refreshing and forthright account of one
group's search for answers and meaning. From rebuilding trust to
understanding why we sometimes fail in matters of morality even when
we know better, it lays out a practical path for finding strength and
resilience through faith and friendship.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.