Newsline: Church of the Brethren districts begin hearings on issues of sexuality

From CoBNews <CoBNews@brethren.org>
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:12:17 -0500

Newsline: Church of the Brethren News Service, News Director Cheryl

Brumbaugh-Cayford, 800-323-8039 ext. 260, cobnews@brethren.org

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN DISTRICTS BEGIN HEARINGS ON

>ISSUES OF SEXUALITY

(Aug. 30, 2010) Elgin, IL -- Some Church of the Brethren districts
have

begun to hold hearings on issues of sexuality at their district
conferences,

and others are beginning to plan for such hearings this fall and
winter, led

by district delegates to the Standing Committee of the denomination's

>Annual Conference.

The hearings are a central part of a "Special Response" process that
will

lead up to a decision by the 2011 Annual Conference on two items of

business: "A Statement of Confession and Commitment" which originated

in the 2008 Standing Committee
(www.cobannualconference.org/pittsburgh/A_Statement_of_Confession_
and_Commitment.pdf<http://www.cobannualconference.org/pittsburgh/A_Statement_of_Confession_%0band_Commitment.pdf>
 ), and "Query: Language on Same Sex Covenantal

Relationships" which originated in the church's Northern Indiana
District
(www.cobannualconference.org/pittsburgh/NB_2_Query-Language_on_Same_Sex_Covenental_Relationships.pdf<http://www.cobannualconference.org/pittsburgh/NB_2_Query-Language_on_Same_Sex_Covenental_Relationships.pdf>).

Hearings in each of the denomination's 23 districts will provide
feedback

to the Standing Committee as it meets prior to the next Annual
Conference

in Grand Rapids, Mich., on July 2-6, 2011, to frame a recommendation
on

>the two business items.

In Southern Pennsylvania District, for example, the District
Conference on

Sept. 17-18 will include two insight sessions on the Special Response

process. Also, the district plans to offer "Zone Hearings" on the two
items

>of business.

At least one district is providing training for church leaders to
hold Bible

studies in congregations, which also is a recommended part of the
Special

Response process (the Bible study resource may be downloaded from
www.cobannualconference.org/pdfs/special_response_resource.pdf<http://www.cobannualconference.org/pdfs/special_response_resource.pdf>
 ).

Shenandoah District will offer opportunities for pastors and church
leaders

to receive training and resources for congregational Bible studies.
The

opportunities included an evening of training for church leaders on
Aug. 28

at Linville Creek Church of the Brethren in Broadway, Va. "Minister's

Bookshelf" events in September and October will review resource

documents and books to assist with facilitating the conversations.

Illinois and Wisconsin District has announced regional listening
sessions in

the northeast, northwest, south, and central parts of the state of
Illinois.

District churches also are encouraged to engage in the Bible study to
provide

>a foundation for the listening sessions.

The Middle Pennsylvania District has announced three hearing sessions,

with a memo reviewing the Special Response process and noting, "This

attempt to discern the mind of Christ through the members of the
Church

now comes even closer to home." The district also is encouraging
members

to prepare for hearings using the Special Response Bible study.

Northern Plains District hopes to have five hearings around the
district some

time during October and November, with members welcome to attend

whichever hearing bests suits their schedules. "It is hoped that
these hearings

will provide a wide range of persons for the listening and input to
Standing

Committee," the district newsletter noted. "Most of all, these events
will let

us as Brethren grow with respect and grace through our tensions and

>differences."

For more about the Church of the Brethren's Special Response process
see
www.cobannualconference.org/special_response_resource.html<http://www.cobannualconference.org/special_response_resource.html>
 .

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to

continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out
its faith

in community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist
faith

traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It
celebrated its

300th anniversary in 2008. It counts some 123,000 members across the
United

States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in
Nigeria, Brazil,