UMNS Daily Digest - August 30, 2010 (Hurricane Katrina, Rethink Church, black caucus)

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:53:52 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to
your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Monday, August 30, 2010
                   [5]The road back from Hurricane Katrina
                    [6]Rethink Church has new Web address
                [7]Crosby named top executive of black caucus

   [8]
   UMTV: Clinic Heals After Katrina»

   [9]
   UMTV: Cowboys Rethink Church»

    [10]
    Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [11]Find us on Facebook

   [12]Twitter

    Contact Us
   [13]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

   âThe only thing we need to worry about is whether we are going to
see
  heaven.â -- Ella Doyle, a member of Hartzell Mount Zion United
Methodist
   Church in Slidell, La., after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf
Coast.

The road back from Hurricane Katrina

   NEW ORLEANS (UMNS) â From almost the moment Hurricane Katrina hit
the Gulf
   Coast five years ago, amazing stories of faith have given United
Methodist
   New Service writer Kathy Gilbert glimpses of hope for the future
of the
   region. In a UMNS commentary, she writes about the people from
Liberia to
   New Orleans who are true examples of grace under fire. As one
faithful
   United Methodist said, âGod has got a better day coming.â

                                 [14]Read full story and post a
comment»

Rethink Church has new Web address

   NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) â Congregational resources for the Rethink
Church
   advertising and welcoming campaign have moved to a new website
address:
   [15]umcom.org/rethinkchurch.   The   website  that  previously
housed
   congregational resources, RethinkChurch.org, will become the
primary seeker
   site that is featured in Rethink Church advertising, beginning
this fall.
   âResearch shows that RethinkChurch.org resonates most strongly
with the
   seekers we are trying to reach with our denominational
advertising,â said
   the Rev. Larry Hollon, chief executive of United Methodist
Communications.
   âThis website address reinforces the message we want non-United
Methodist
   seekers to take away from our advertisingâthat we are rethinking
church.â

Crosby named top executive of black caucus

   NASHVILLE, Tenn.(UMNS) â Pamela Crosby has been elected executive
director
   of Black Methodists for Church Renewal, a caucus of The United
Methodist
   Church. Since July 2007, Crosby has served in this position in a
part-time
   capacity. She has worked in editorial and production capacities
for United
   Methodist general agencies for more than 20 years. She will begin
full-time
   duties with Black Methodists for Church Renewal on Oct. 1.

   Did  someone  you  know pass along this copy to you? Get your own
copy
   [16]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [17]10thousanddoors.org
             [18]Rethink Church
             [19]TechShop
             [20]EcuFilm
             [21]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [22]Interpreter Magazine
      [23]El' Interprete
      [24]United Methodists In Service
             [25]InfoServ
             [26]Kingswood Communications
   [27]United Methodist News Service
      [28]UM Audio
      [29]UMTV
             [30]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [31]United Methodist Communications International
             [32]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [33]Crisis Communications
                     [34]Communications Training
                     [35]Program Calendars
                     [36]United Methodist Press Center
                     [37]Scholarships
   [38]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and
Designated
   Giving
                     [39]United Methodist Productions

       [40]http://umns.umc.org | [41]Privacy Policy | [42]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here
to start
                your own account: [43]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville,
TN 37203

   [44]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [3676018105.gif]