Christians help foreigners living in Taiwan break down cultural barriers

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:02:10 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3052 Edition

      August 23~29, 2010

      Christians help foreigners living in Taiwan break down cultural
barriers

      Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

      Written by Lydia Ma

      It’s been more than 5 years since Christian Loving Neighbors
Association has been running a

      help center for foreign spouses to help communities in Tainan
County become more

      accepting of other cultures and get rid of stereotypes about
new immigrants.

      The association has worked with several townships in Tainan
County in the past few years

      and an outreach meeting was held recently at Lung-Tan Community
Center in Yong-Kang City.

      This outreach on August 19, 2010 included introducing services
provided by the center,

      providing legal advice on residency regulations in Taiwan, tips
on preventing and stopping

      domestic abuse, and introducing new residents to their
neighbors.

      A lawyer was invited to speak on domestic abuse prevention and
regulations while a dentist

      from Sinlau Hospital taught about proper dental care. A medical
team from Chi-Mei Hospital

      was invited to teach participants how to do proper stretching
and relaxation exercises.

      Christian Loving Neighbors Association staff, Cheng Wen-min,
said most foreign brides who

      come to the association seeking assistance aren’t Christians.
Volunteers or social workers

      who help them will sometimes pray with them when assisting or
counseling them.

      “Social workers are also human,” she explained. “Sometimes we
become weary and

      sometimes there are problems we cannot solve. When that
happens, we hope that our

      Christian faith can strengthen them.”

      She added that she hoped churches everywhere could reach out to
new immigrants and

      foreigners because a little bit of effort from every church can
truly makes a significant

      difference when churches work together.

      Some cultural relics and light snacks, such as Vietnamese tacos
and coffee jelly, were

      provided during the meeting to help people relax, enjoy, and
get to know different cultures and

      their special cuisines.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)