Korean and Taiwanese churches grow and profit from wonderful exchanges

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:53:00 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3052 Edition

      August 23~29, 2010

      Korean and Taiwanese churches learn and profit from wonderful
exchanges

      Reported by Chen Wei-chien

      Written by Lydia Ma

      Ever since PCT Changhua Presbytery and Korea’s Iksan Presbytery
became partners,

      they’ve maintained an intimate relationship through frequent
interactions and inviting each

      other’s pastors and youths for short stays and visits.

      When Changhua Presbytery celebrated its 40th anniversary
earlier, it was no surprise that a

      delegation from Iksan came to celebrate this occasion. This
summer, Iksan Presbytery’s choir

      was invited to visit Taiwan and tour local churches in Changhua
area.

      Choir members first visited National Palace Museum in Taipei,
National Museum of Natural

      Science, Sun Moon Lake, and other tourist attractions before
touring a few churches in

      Changhua area and Changhua Christian Hospital (CCH).

      Not only did this choir of 35 people perform during weekday
chapel services in CCH, it also

      sang in the hospital’s lobby for patients waiting to see their
doctors or waiting to pick up their

      prescriptions. Choir members also took time to shake patients’
hands or give them a hug.

      In an interesting twist, culture shock became a topic of some
conversations during this visit.

      PCT David Landsborough Memorial Church pastor, Rev. Wei
Chien-hsiang, reported that

      Korean Christians were taken aback to see Taiwanese pastors and
their wives personally

      order take-out food for their guests. They commented that, in
Korea, pastors usually taught

      and preached while elders and deacons served the flock.

      Wei also reported his congregation learned a lot from Korean
Christians and looked forward

      to future visits. “Korean churches have a lot to teach us about
prayer. Perhaps we can invite

      their elders or seminarians to come and share their experiences
with us. We can provide food

      and lodging, and I believe communication shouldn’t be a problem
as long as they can speak

      English. These are a few things we’re aiming for in the
future,” Wei said.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)