Presbytery explains young adults’ dating and marriage dilemma

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:11:27 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3052 Edition

      August 23~29, 2010

      Presbytery explains young adults’ dating and marriage dilemma

      Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong

      Written by Lydia Ma

      PCT Seven Stars Presbytery Marriage Committee hopes to
strengthen its ministries by

      providing one-on-one dating that’d allow single young adults to
meet one another in an

      intimate and warm setting.

      The committee will hold a gathering on September 18, 2010, at a
classy venue in Taipei for

      young, single adults who’ve already graduated from college.

      Ou Shiou-jen, a committee member in charge of this event and an
elder of Da-chih

      Presbyterian Church, observed from her experience in helping
young adults find a match that

      women usually take more initiative than men when it comes to
dating or participating in

      matchmaking events.

      She explained that single men are usually consumed with their
careers and don’t give much

      thought to dating and marriage. Some men are too proud of their
educational achievements to

      admit their need for matchmaking events like this one to meet
their future spouses. Still others

      are ashamed of not holding stable jobs and shy away from dating
as result.

      Ou believed these 3 factors explained why men are more passive
than women when it comes

      to dating and marriage. But she also noted from her experiences
that many young adults today

      are more accepting of using matchmaking as a means to meet
people compared to a few years ago.

      Based on her decade long experience in this ministry, Ou urged
single young adults to pray

      earnestly before they begin their search because prayer is of
prime importance when it comes

      to finding a suitable life partner.

      She also encouraged them to make sure they really wanted to
build a good marriage. “Though

      this may sound redundant, I’ve met many single men and women
who didn’t seriously consider

      this basic factor when they began dating,” she said.

      She emphasized that if single men and women take her two
suggestions seriously and

      actively participate in events for young adults organized by
their own churches, they’ll soon find

      the spouse God has prepared for them.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)