Taiwan’s religious organizations salvage screwed education system

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:42:10 -0700

      Taiwan Church News

      3057 Edition

      September 27~October 3, 2010

      Taiwan’s religious organizations salvage screwed education
system

      Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong, Lin Yi-ying

      Written by Lydia Ma

      In a recent high-profile murder case in Taiwan, Liao Kuo-hau, a
17-year-old allegedly

      responsible for the murder of Taichung gang leader Weng Chi-nan
on May 28, was quoted as

      having complained that he was a victim of Taiwan's education
system. Liao alleged he was

      discriminated against in school because he came from a broken
family.

      This tragic story and his statement sparked discussion across
Taiwan and shed light on many

      illegal practices inside many Taiwanese high schools. As
Christians with children in public or

      private schools in Taiwan, it’s imperative that we be as
concerned about where our children

      are headed as whether they’re lagging behind the rest of the
pack.

      Three of these illegal practices include: Discriminatory
placement of students at the beginning

      of the school year when they are assigned their classes,
restrictions on students’ hairdo that

      breach basic human rights, and dissemination of personal and
private information, such as

      grades, without prior consent and for non-educational purposes.

      According to reports, more than 50% of schools have engaged in
the first illegal practice

      mentioned above while more than 80% have committed the second
and third illegal practices.

      If these numbers are any indication, many students are
ostracized as early as junior high school.

      Yeh Ta-hua, Secretary-General of Taiwan Alliance for
Advancement of Youth Rights and

      Welfare and deacon of Peace Island Presbyterian Church in
Keelung, underscored that these

      trends merely exacerbate the number of high school dropouts and
burden society with

      teenage delinquents forced to choose between gangs or
unwelcoming school environments

      just because they are slow learners or don’t excel in academics.

to troubled teens and high

      school dropouts in recent years, including Chu-Tang
Presbyterian Church in Changhua. The

      church, in partnership with local government agencies, founded
Sunflower School in 2003 and

      began offering classes to students according to their own needs
and learning abilities. It has

      graduated 56 students to date, with 34% of them entering the
workforce and 66% moving on

      to higher education.

      However, Chu-Tang Church’s pastor, Rev. Chuang Hsiao-sheng,
would like to see more

      preventative measures in place in high schools across Taiwan
before teens become

      dropouts, including: Early detection of domestic violence,
better counseling for teens mixed

      with the wrong crowd, more flexible school regulations, and
more emphasis on morality.

      “A healthy country needs sound ethics, morality, philosophy on
life, and these are all lacking in

      Taiwan,” he said, convinced that religious entities are called
to stand in the gap.

      From PCT Education Ministry Committee Secretary Lian Yan-yan’s
point of view, one of the

      root problems is Taiwanese society and education’s over-
emphasis on hard sciences and on

      making the education system to fit the job market’s demand. “If
we want to correct Taiwan’s

      education system, we must first re-evaluate the purpose of
education,” she said.

      To compensate for this skewed social and education system, PCT
has been working hard

      with schools to provide Life Education Classes. Not only does
PCT write the curriculum for

      these classes, which start from kindergarten up to senior high
school, it also writes a similar

      set of curriculum for its Sunday Schools and has many
volunteers throughout Taiwan.

      “Our vision when we began Life Education Classes was to help
people live happily and

      healthily and teach them to respect one another’s uniqueness,”
Lian said.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)