[ENS] Video: Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul on Sudan and the referendum / MEXICO: Mariachi festival rais

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:26:14 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>October 5, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* WORLD REPORT - MEXICO: Mariachi festival raises funds for Boys and
Girls Club of Rosarito, welcomes San Diego bishop as honored guest
* MISSION - Innovative partnership aims to help Episcopal churches
'go green'
* OPINION - With heart set on returning to Sudan, work continues at
home, By Judith Gregory
* VIDEO - Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul on Sudan and the referendum
* DAYBOOK - October 6: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "The C. S. Lewis Records - The
Four Loves & C. S. Lewis Speaks His Mind"

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

MEXICO: Mariachi festival raises funds for Boys and Girls Club of
Rosarito

San Diego bishop attends opening ceremony as honored guest

>By Hannah Miller

[Diocese of San Diego] The first Mariachi and Folklorico Festival
began Oct. 1 with an opening ceremony in the Salon Cielo, Sky Room, of
the iconic Rosarito Beach Hotel, Mexico. Diocese of San Diego Bishop
James R. Mathes attended as an honored guest and representative of the
greater San Diego community.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_124991_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Innovative partnership aims to help Episcopal churches 'go green'

>Subsidies available to congregations

[Episcopal News Service] In an innovative venture that benefits
congregations of all sizes, the Episcopal Church has partnered with
GreenFaith, a national religious environmental group, to assist
churches' efforts to "go green," according to an Oct. 5 press release
from the church's Office of Public Affairs.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_124993_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>VIDEO

Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul on Sudan and the referendum

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul of the Episcopal
Church of Sudan speaks about the importance of partnerships and
advocacy ahead of the January 2011 referendum, when southerners will
decide whether to secede from the north or to remain a unified
country.

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

With heart set on returning to Sudan, work continues at home

>By Judith Gregory

[Diocese of Delaware] When you visit Sudan, people say that if you
drink from the Nile River, you are destined to return. So while in
Khartoum the summer of 2008, I concentrated on never drinking from the
Nile. As fate would have it, I slipped up -- once. The result? An
undeniable, intense yearning to return.

>So what does one do while waiting to go back?

First, I have been raising awareness about the work of the Mothers
Union in Sudan, a part of the Episcopal Church of Sudan (ECS). In
particular, I've been focusing on their need for a vehicle to travel
and do their work around the country. Maureen Lyons of Trinity Parish
and Danny Schweers of the Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew in
Wilmington have been working with me in this venture. More volunteers
are needed and welcome.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124986_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On October 6, 2010, the church remembers William Tyndale, priest.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 6, 1510, Rowland Taylor was born in
Northumberland, England. Taylor, an Anglican priest, was the third
victim of Queen Mary I as she attempted to bring about Roman Catholic
reforms in England.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"The C. S. Lewis Records - The Four Loves & C. S. Lewis Speaks His
Mind" from Episcopal Media Center, by C. S. Lewis, 4 CDs, c. 2007, $30

[Episcopal Media Center] The new combination of our two Episcopal
Media Center classics: The Four Loves and C.S. Lewis Speaks His Mind.
The Four Loves - In this rare recording of C.S. Lewis' own voice,
Lewis examines the four classical Greek terms for love: storge,
philia, eros and agape. C.S. Lewis Speaks His Mind - This rare
recording of Lewis' lecture on Bunyans The Pilgrim's Progress, an
adaptation of "The Great Divide," and the introduction to The Great
Divorce.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.