NCC documentary: aging brings uncertainties but freedom

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:21:06 -0400

>Aging brings uncertainties but also freedom,
>asserts NCC documentary on ABC television

See http://www.ncccusa.org/news/101006agingdocumentary.html

Harrisonburg, Va., October 6, 2010 -- The issues and uncertainties of
aging  are the focus of a National Council of Churches documentary
produced by Th ird Way Media and slated for broadcast on the ABC
television network beginn ing October 17.

"Embracing Aging: Families Facing Change" addresses the universal
topic thr ough the eyes of extended families from across the United
States.

"I would like to be able to embrace my later years but I'm still
scared bec ause I don't know what's going to happen," says Randi
Gedaliah of New York  City, one of the family members who appears in
the documentary. Gedaliah's  father, Harry Davis, 86, is one of the
elders featured in the program.

"It's time for we baby boomers to grow 'the rest of the way up,'"
asserts D r. Ira Byock in the program. Dr. Byock is professor at
Dartmouth Medical Sc hool (N.H.) and director of palliative care for
the medical center there.

Residents of ElderSpirit, a co-housing community for age 55 and up in
rural  Abingdon, Va. tell viewers why they wanted to explore
alternatives to typi cal retirement communities. The community's
founder, Dene Peterson, says on e of her passions is to change the
way elders are treated in American socie ty.

The documentary was produced for the "Vision and Values" series for
ABC-TV  by Third Way Media in partnership with the Catholic
Telecasters Group and r eleased to ABC stations by the National
Council of Churches through the Int erfaith Broadcasting
Commission. The executive producers are Burton Bulle r and Father
James Gardiner; producer, Sheri Hartzler; editor, Wayne Gehman ;
writer, Melodie Davis; and narrator Barbra Graber.

>Families appearing in the documentary are:

*   The Durkee family, Tunbridge, Vt.: care-giving for a mother with
Alzheimer's and a father with chronic leukemia.
*   The Guengerich family, Harrisonburg, Va.: facing a series of down
sizing moves while physical needs increase.
*   Shirley Phillips, and daughter, Los Angeles.: fighting a medical
system which had given up on the mother at the age of 74.
*   The Davis family, New York: adjusting to a new social world in as
sisted living after the death of wife/mother.
*   The Concepcion family, California and Virginia: managing long-dis
tance care of father with brother and sister on opposite coasts.

The program also includes Jennie Chin Hansen, president of AARP,
Licia Berr y-Berard, geriatric social worker, and Dr. Lisa Furmanski
geriatrician, Dar tmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center; Stella Henry,
author of The ElderCare Hand book and founder of Vista del Sol
assisted living facility; Arthur Webb, CE O of Village Care of New
York (NYC), Lynn Miller, author and stewardship co unselor for
Mennonite Mutual Aid; and volunteers with the SOOP (Service Opp
ortunities for Older Persons).

The program probes phases of aging, retirement, housing options, care
iss ues and options, relationships, aging in different cultures, and
the role o f faith and the church.

For updates on stations airing the program check
www.interfaithbroadcasting .com/  The program is also available at
store.ThirdWayMedia.org on DVD fo r $24.95 with study guide and bonus
content.

An accompanying website, www.EmbracingAging.com adds additional
resources a nd links on the subject of aging.  Audio programs on the
subject are availa ble at www.ShapingFamilies.org.  See Past Programs
in October for Aging: Ca re Options and Aging: Housing Choices.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of
Christ  in the USA has been the leading force for ecumenical
cooperation among Chri stians in the United States. The NCC's 36
member faith groups - from a wide  spectrum of Protestant, Anglican,
Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African  American and Living Peace
churches -- include 45 million persons in more th an 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),
646-853-4212 (ce ll), pjenks@ncccusa.org