PCT joins others in bid for Taiwan’s entry to the U.N.

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:18:34 -0700

      3058 Edition

      October 4~10, 2010

      Headline News

      PCT joins others in bid for Taiwan’s entry to the U.N.

      Reported by Sam Lee

      Written by Lydia Ma

      Joined by Taiwanese organizations such as Alliance of
Referendum for Taiwan and Taiwan

      United Nations Alliance, PCT Church and Society Committee took
part in a “Taiwan for U.N.

      Tour” from September 17~25, 2010, which included stops in New
York, Washington D.C.,

      Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

      A rally was held outside of the U.N. Headquarters in New York,
at the Dag Hammarskjold

      Plaza, on September 18th, and it was followed by a meeting
between delegates from these

      organizations and Taiwanese people living in the U.S. Attendees
discussed in detail their views

      and prospects of Taiwan’s bid to enter the U.N.

      Delegates from Taiwan also visited Formosa Association for
Public Affairs on September 19th,

      where they took part in a prayer meeting for justice and peace
in Taiwan, U.S., and the world.

      Another prayer meeting was held on September 23rd, in San
Francisco at a local PCT church.

      PCT leaders all agreed that Taiwan still had a long way to go
before gaining entrance into the

      U.N. However, they were unfazed and planned to continue
lobbying – especially because next

      year will mark the 40th anniversary since Taiwan was expelled
from the U.N. and also the 40th

      anniversary of PCT’s “Statement on our National Fate”.

      PCT plans to hold “Taiwan for U.N.” rallies, forums, church
services, and other events with

      other organizations next year to promote this idea and tell the
world that Taiwan wants to

      become a full-fledged member of the international community.

       In preparation for next year’s Double Tenth National Day
celebrations, which will mark the

      100th anniversary of the Republic of China, the Ma
administration has already begun making

      preparations, including asking churches to hold song-writing
contests featuring patriotic pop songs.

      To this, Huang reiterated, “Next year, 2011, will be the 40th
anniversary of PCT’s “Statement

      on our National Fate” and it’ll also be 40 years since Taiwan
lost its seat in the U.N.!” He

      rebuked President Ma Ying-jeou for neglecting diplomacy and the
importance of securing a

      place for Taiwan in the international arena.

      ********************

      Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.

      You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

      "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and
writer.

      Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

      Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

      Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

      http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)