PCT urges Christians to defend Aborigines’ land ownership rights

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:35:14 -0700

3058 Edition

October 4~10, 2010

Headline News

PCT urges Christians to defend Aborigines’ land ownership rights

Reported by Chen Wei-chien

Written by Lydia Ma

Amis Aborigines from Fulafulak Reservation in Shanyuan Bay, near
Taitung protested Taitung County’s issuance of permits

for the operation and expansion of a beach resort hotel in their land
without their consent despite court rulings against the

development project.

This protest, which took place in front of the Presidential Palace on
October 1, 2010, was co-sponsored by

Taiwan Environmental Protection Union, PCT Indigenous Ministry
Committee, Raging Citizens Act Now (RCAN),

and other organizations. Highlights of the protest included a press
conference and a protest letter delivered

directly to the Presidential Palace.

The controversy began in 2004 when the county government permitted
the construction of Meiliwan Resort Hotel on Shanyuan Bay.

Despite several high court rulings against this building project due
to environmental concerns, the county government repeatedly

appealed the ruling and at the same time issued permits for the
resort’s operation.

In addition, two Aborigines had their lands incorporated as part of
the resort hotel without their knowledge and consent when the area

was re-zoned. Hence, aside from ignoring high court rulings, the
county government also completely ignored the Aboriginal Basic Act,

which stipulates that Aborigines must be consulted before such a
project can be started in their traditional lands.

PCT Indigenous Ministry Committee Secretary Omi Wilang said he hoped
PCT could serve as a platform for more discussion on this matter

and added that its participation in environmental protection issues
was an important aspect of its witness for Christ.

He said PCT’s participation would go a long way in touching people's
hearts and lives.

PCT Church and Society Committee Secretary Huang Che-yen underscored
that Shanyuan Bay should remain a public property belonging to all
Taitung residents.

As a native of Taitung and a PCT official, he said the church must
oppose any corporate takeover of this bay. He urged all Christians to
get involved in this issue

as a proof to all that their faith is indeed rooted in this land and
its well-being.

“We are not anti-development. But development projects must be
reasonable,” Huang said. “They must take into account local culture
and ecology,

as well as the human rights of Aborigines. We will continue to keep
an eye on this issue.”

********************

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)