[ENS] Sudan delegation meets with UN secretary general, 'raises alarm' / Latino Ministries conferenc

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:32:07 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>October 11, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Sudan delegation meets with UN secretary general,
'raises ala rm'
* TOP STORY - Latino Ministries conference is topic of Oct. 24
bulletin ins erts
* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Sudan preaches at Trinity Church, Wall
Street
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW JERSEY, NEWARK: Bishops decry Clementi
suicide, 'invasion of intimacy'
* WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Archbishop of Canterbury visits Mother
Teresa's tomb
* WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Archbishop of Canterbury preaches at Kolkota
Cathedral on the MDGs
* OPINION - Teaching gives new meaning to the Baptismal Covenant
* DAYBOOK - October 12: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Isaías - Conozca su Biblia"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Sudan delegation meets with UN secretary general, 'raises alarm'

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service, New York] An ecumenical delegation of
Sudanese religious leaders met with U.N. officials and Secretary
General Ban Ki-moon Oct. 11 to express its fear of what might happen
if the Jan. 9 referendum in which south Sudan is expected to vote for
independence from the north is not carried out as planned.

"We told him we came to raise an alarm to the United Nations," said
Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul of the Episcopal Church in Sudan during a
press conference held at the Church Center for the United Nations,
following a day of U.N. meetings.

"We are the church, we are in the ground. We are with the people. And
we are knowing every thing that is happening in the ground there. So
because of that we are here," Deng said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125063_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Latino Ministries conference is topic of Oct. 24 bulletin inserts

Nuevo Amanecer, a biennial conference co-sponsored by the Episcopal
Church's Office of Latino/Hispanic Ministries, will be held Nov. 14 -
17 at Kanuga Conference Center in Hendersonville, North Carolina. ENS
Weekly bulletin inserts for Oct. 24 outline the conference schedule
and its keynote speakers, the Rev. Alberto Cutié and the Rev.
Miguelina Espinal.

Inserts may be downloaded here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HT M.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Sudan preaches at Trinity Church, Wall Street

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul of the Episcopal
Church of Sudan spoke from the pulpit at Trinity Church, Wall Street,
Oct. 10, thanking the parish for its support of the church in Sudan
both in times of war and peace, and explaining his visit to the United
States.

"Six years ago Sudan signed a Comprehensive Peace Agreement between
the people in ... south Sudan and the people in the north," Deng said
during his sermon at the parish's 11:15 a.m. Eucharist service. "And
this agreement is coming to an end on the ninth of January 2011. We as
the church ... we have fears that the Comprehensive Peace Agreement,
the
CPA, all the processes that were supposed to be done have not been
completed ... The fear in the country is that Sudan will go back to
war."

Trinity Church was Deng's first stop on a 12-day visit to the United
States, where he is joining an ecumenical delegation in promoting
awareness and encouraging advocacy in advance of the Jan. 9 referendum
to determine whether war-torn Sudan remains united or splits into two
separate countries: north and south.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125038_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

NEW JERSEY, NEWARK: Bishops decry Clementi suicide, 'invasion of
intimacy'

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Expressing "grief, alarm, compassion and
outrage" over the suicide of Tyler Clementi, Episcopal Diocese of New
Jersey Bishop George Councell and Diocese of Newark Bishop Mark
Beckwith have called attention to what they term "the invasion of
intimacy."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125043_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

INDIA: Archbishop of Canterbury visits Mother Teresa's tomb

>By Anto Akkara

[Ecumenical News International, Bangalore, India] Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams has begun a 16-day visit to India by paying
tribute to Mother Teresa at her tomb in Kolkata, the north eastern
city once known as Calcutta, the capital of West Bengal state.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_125049_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

INDIA: Archbishop of Canterbury preaches at Kolkota Cathedral on the
MDGs

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams
preached on Oct. 11 at St. Paul's Cathedral in Kolkata during a
service of thanksgiving to mark the Global Day of Prayer for the
Millennium Development Goals.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_125040_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Teaching gives new meaning to the Baptismal Covenant

>By Michael Drawbaugh

[Episcopal News Service] The sun is setting on the prairie. I sit on
the roadside on an abandoned tire. Next to me sits a 6-year-old Lakota
boy named Tommy. I am tutoring Tommy in number comparison symbols
after school, in his family's front yard. There is a glint in his eyes
when he answers a question correctly. "'Teacher, I'm smart aren't I?'"
"Yes, Tommy. You can do anything. You are a wonder."

I am a Teach for America teacher. I teach in rural South Dakota, in a
town of about 300 people. I teach 14 courageous, strong, compassionate
first graders. From the day I boarded the airplane in my home of
Portland, Oregon, to coming here, my Baptismal Covenant has been
transforming my actions, choices and mindset. The Spirit has been
hovering over my life, awakening me to those promises in that covenant
I made so many years ago.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_125046_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On October 12, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 12, 1602, William Chillingworth was
born in Oxford, England.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Isaías - Conozca su Biblia" from Augsburg Fortress, by Samuel Pagán,
edited by Justo L. González, 216 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $15

>[Augsburg Fortress] ¡Conozca su Biblia!

Una introducció sencilla, pero fresca y profunda, a cada uno de los
libros de la Biblia.

Escrita con miras a quieness se dedican a la pastoral, a la
predicación y a la educación, así como al laicado en general, por
personas comprometidas con la fe cristiana, experimentadas en el
estudio bíblico y formadas en la cultura latina.

>Know your Bible!

A simple, but fresh and deep introduction to each book of the Bible.

This book is to be used by those who are dedicated to pastoral care,
preaching and education, as well as by the laity in general, for
people who's Christian faith has been compromised, for those who have
experimented with Bible Study, and those formed in Latino culture.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.