UCC Widening The Welcome Conference Affirms Disabilities Ministries

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:17:21 -0700

Inaugural Widening the Welcome conference is
'strong affirmation' of disabilities ministries

Written by Jeff Woodard
October 11, 2010

A groundbreaking conference built on years of ministry focusing on
disabilities, mental illnesses and other brain disorders, "Widening
the Welcome: Inclusion for All" was presented by the UCC Mental
Illness Network and UCC Disabilities Ministries Sept. 23-25 in St.
Louis.

"People came from Maine to Hawaii," said the Rev. Alan Johnson,
retired UCC pastor and chair of the UCC Mental Illness Network. "It
was a strong affirmation of this frontier of ministry in the UCC
building on all the hard work that has been done in the past."

More than 230 people participated in the conference held as a lead-in
to Access Sunday, Oct. 10 ? which also marked the beginning of
Disabilities Awareness Week. (Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW) was
observed Oct. 3-9.)

The event was infused with spiritually engaging worship and morning
devotions and vespers. Seven workshops were offered three times each
with keynote speakers and national leaders.

Preachers/speakers included the Rev. Geoffrey Black, UCC general
minister and president; Dr. David Greenhaw, president of Eden
Theological Seminary; the Rev. Jane Fisler Hoffman, former UCC
conference minister; the Rev. Bob Molsberry, Ohio Conference minister;
the Rev. Craig Rennebohm; Lieutenant Colonel Peter Bauer; and the
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)-St. Louis.

Hoffman set the tone of the conference by sharing her own personal
awakening in alleviating depression. "Closeted in my clinical
depression, I realized I needed to come out to be true to myself," she
said. "How can we welcome others unless we have welcomed the wholeness
of ourselves?"

Speaking on the theology of disabilities and inclusive practices,
Debbie Creamer, assistant professor of theological bibliography at the
Iliff School of Theology in Denver, said, "We must face the stigma in
ourselves as we widen the welcome to others who are different from us,
whatever that difference may be. Rarely were people with disabilities
considered first as people."

Twelve days before the conference began, Molsberry used his wheelchair
to complete an Ironman race course that he covered in 15-plus hours.
Showing his medal and speaking of "hospitality the hard way,"
Molsberry said, "We are carried by so many people. I was vulnerable, I
needed help. Disability is a cross-cultural experience."

At least one in four families in all faith communities is affected by
a mental illness/brain disorder or a disability. The UCC has long been
an advocate in inclusion for all through its Disabilities Ministries
and Mental Illness Network.

Throughout its 53-year history, the UCC has consistently highlighted,
approved and enacted resolutions related to disabilities and mental
illnesses/brain disorders. UCC Local Church Ministries, through
Disabilities Ministries and the Mental Illness Network, provided
substantial financial support for the Widening the Welcome conference.

At the conclusion of the conference, Black said, "This is a movement
within the movement of the UCC."

Planning team members are in the process of deciding the venue for the
next conference, which will likely be held at the end of September
2011.

For more information on resources focused on physical disabilities,
mental illnesses and other brain disorders, please visit
<min-ucc.org>.