Leadership role a perfect fit for Native American UCC member in Rhode Island

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:19:45 -0700

Leadership role a perfect fit for Native American UCC member in Rhode
Island

Written by Jeff Woodard
October 12, 2010

The Rev. Nicole Grant Yonkman figures 45 years is long enough.

Lifting up Paulette Littlejohn for her long-standing membership in and
service to Beneficent Congregational UCC in Providence, R.I.,
Yonkman's strong sentiment is succinct.

"It's high time she got some recognition for what she does in the
church."

Yonkman and her husband, the Rev. Todd Grant Yonkman ? co-ministers at
Beneficent for the past 16 months ? proudly presided over the Native
American Ministries worship service Sept. 26 at which five members of
Littlejohn's family were baptized.

"She's been a member of this church for 45 years and has never been
asked to be in leadership," says Nicole. "It's crazy, because here she
is an elder of a tribe and the tribe has 1,500 members. This year, for
the first time, she is a deacon in our church."

A council elder of the Northern Narragansett tribe, Littlejohn counts
more than 300 among her family. Self-identified as Native American,
she also has African-American blood.

"Our Native-American family is providing the leadership that is
revitalizing and helping us to turn around this downtown struggling
church," says Todd. "Our ministry is about empowering groups, building
leadership and affirming what they bring. This is not ministry to,
this is ministry with."

Littlejohn was married in 1964. The following year, her husband,
McGeary, became the first African-American from Rhode Island to be
killed in the Vietnam War. As a wedding gift, her grandmother gave her
a handmade basket filled with records compiled by her
great-grandmother about her family's history at the time the Pilgrims
arrived in Rhode Island.

"Her grandmother somehow learned to read and write, and was trained to
write in English and whatever the Narragansett language was," says
Nicole. "In 1637, the Pilgrims converted her family to Christianity.
Of course, the Pilgrims became Congregationalists. And that is where
it all began."

Today, Littlejohn is keeper of those records.

"She is the one who keeps the family together," says Nicole. "She has
inherited her culture. She says her life is her family ?? and keeping
that family and that culture alive, getting her kids, grandchildren
and great-grandchildren involved in the tribe and its leadership."

Among her cherished family are the five baptized Sept. 26:
great-grandsons Octavius Littlejohn, 11, and Taizayah Littlejohn, 5;
great-granddaughter Aviyonce Littlejohn, 8; grand-niece Neveah
Washington, 4; and grand-nephew Christopher Washington, 1.

"She is raising her great-grandkids," says Nicole. "It's just amazing.
Octavius, at 11, is a brave in the Northern Narragansett tribe."

Todd says he was mindful to include elements into the baptism service
that would honor family culture. While the children wore Native
American dress, jewelry and vests, Littlejohn was cloaked in humility.
She wanted no fuss about her ancestry, only recognition of her
family's belief in Christ.

"I thought I needed to plan this with Paulette," says Todd, "but when
I called her, she says, 'Pastor Todd, we are Christians. That's all.'
"

Littlejohn is on the teaching committee of the church's new teaching
parish for Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Centre, Mass.
"It gives everyone chills when she speaks," says Nicole. "She doesn't
speak much, but when she does, everything is in gold. She has a way
about her. This role of being on a teaching committee, this wise
elder, is just perfect for her."

Littlejohn's role as leader of the largest family in the tribe means
her tribal influence is considerable, says Nicole.

Equally powerful is Littlejohn's faith. "As recently as the 1960s,
Providence was taking urban land from Native Americans and
African-Americans," says Nicole. "Paulette's mother's land was taken ?
after her previous land had been taken. Yet they remain Christians, a
part of the church; a loyal, great example of faith."

Littlejohn's emergence as a leader comes at an opportune time for
Beneficent, an Open and Affirming, Just Peace congregation that
includes Asian Americans, Native Americans, African-Americans, Euro
Americans, Hispanics and LGBT persons.
Weekly worship attendance has doubled in the past year and a half.

"We're up to about 100 in weekly worship," says Nicole. "We used to
have two-to-five kids, now we're at 20 to 25."

Recognition of Littlejohn's gifts demonstrate Beneficent's
intentionality about being multicultural and affirming of those
cultures' value and leadership, says Todd.

"We're taking those voices that have been on the edge and putting them
front and center."