[ENS] Praying for peace in Sudan / Immigration reform: binational gay couples fear they'll be left o

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:42:50 -0400

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Praying for peace in Sudan

* TOP STORY - Immigration reform: binational gay couples fear they'll
be
left out
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - TEXAS: Inclusion conference held in Houston
* PEOPLE - Retired Spokane Bishop Leigh Wallace dies in Montana
* VIDEO - Sudan ecumenical delegation addresses media following
meeting
with U.N. Secretary General
* VIDEO - Archbishop of Sudan preaches at Trinity Church, Wall Street
* DAYBOOK - October 13: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Blood of Brothers - Life and War
in Nicaragua"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Praying for peace in Sudan
>Delegation leads candlelight vigil

>By Lynette Wilson

Standing beneath the words of Isaiah 2:4 - "They shall beat their
swords
into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not
lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more"
--
ecumenical religious leaders from Sudan Oct. 12 led a candlelight
vigil

About 20 people gathered at the Isaiah Wall in Ralph Bunche Park on
First Avenue opposite United Nations headquarters in New York for the
vigil.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125088_ENG_HTM.htm
_ _ _ _ _

Immigration reform: binational gay couples fear they'll be left out

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] When the District of Columbia legalized gay
marriage earlier this year, Erwin de Leon and the Rev. John
Beddingfield
tied the knot "knowing full well it's very limited," de Leon said
during
a recent telephone interview.

The federal government doesn't recognize gay marriage. So when his
visa
expires next year de Leon, 44, a doctoral student from the
Philippines,
cannot start the process of becoming a citizen, an option available to
spouses of heterosexual U.S. citizens.

"Immigration reform is not just one issue, it's complicated," de Leon
said. "My mother, a straight woman, emigrated long after I did. She
married my step-dad and got a green card in less than a year. If
same-sex marriages were recognized federally this would be a nonissue.
Just like anybody else, John would be able to sponsor me."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125074_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

>TEXAS: Inclusion conference held in Houston

>By Katie Sherrod

[Episcopal News Service] The "Moving Forward, Exploring a New Path to
Full Inclusion" conference at Christ Church Cathedral in Houston in
the
Episcopal Diocese of Texas was meant to change the way people in the
diocese approached consideration of the full inclusion of lesbian,
gay,
bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the life of the church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125085_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Retired Spokane Bishop Leigh Wallace dies in Montana

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Diocese of Spokane's sixth bishop, the
Rt.
Rev. Leigh Allen Wallace, Jr., 83, died Oct. 7 at St. Patrick's
Hospital
in Missoula, Montana.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_125086_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>VIDEO

Sudan ecumenical delegation addresses media following meeting with
U.N.
Secretary General

[Episcopal News Service] Sudanese religious leaders address the media
on
Oct. 11 following a meeting with U.N. officials and Secretary General
Ban Ki-moon. The meetings were intended to underscore what might
happen
if the Jan. 9 referendum in which south Sudan is expected to vote for
independence from the north is not carried out as planned.

>Video: http://bit.ly/d2BiYH

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Sudan preaches at Trinity Church, Wall Street

[Trinity Church, Wall Street] Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul of the
Episcopal Church of Sudan preaches on Oct. 10 at Trinity Church, Wall
Street, thanking the parish for its support of the church of Sudan
both
in times of war and peace, and explaining his visit to the United
States.

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On October 13, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 13, 1759, John Henley, commonly known
as
'Orator Henley,' died. Henley was one of the first entertainers and a
precursor to the talk show hosts of today.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Blood of Brothers - Life and War in Nicaragua" from Harvard
University
Press, by Stephen Kinzer, 460 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $18.95

[Harvard University Press] In 1976, at age 25, Stephen Kinzer arrived
in
Nicaragua as a freelance journalist--and became a witness to history.
He
returned many times during the years that followed, becoming Latin
America correspondent for the Boston Globe in 1981 and joining the
foreign staff of the New York Times in 1983. That year he opened the
New
York Times Managua bureau, making that newspaper the first daily in
America to maintain a full-time office in Nicaragua.

Widely considered the best-connected journalist in Central America,
Kinzer personally met and interviewed people at every level of the
Somoza, Sandinistas and contra hierarchies, as well as dissidents,
heads
of state, and countless ordinary citizens throughout the region.

Blood of Brothers is Kinzer's dramatic story of the centuries-old
power
struggle that burst into the headlines in 1979 with the overthrow of
the
Somoza dictatorship. It is a vibrant portrait of the Nicaraguan people
and their volcanic land, a cultural history rich in poetry and
bloodshed, baseball and insurrection.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.