Urban sprawl challenges PCT to keep up and make presence felt

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:46:05 -0700

3059 Edition

October11~17, 2010

Church Ministry News

Urban sprawl challenges PCT to keep up and make presence felt

Reported by Chen Wei-chien

Written by Lydia Ma

As part of its 80th anniversary celebrations, PCT Taichung Presbytery
held a mission forum to

discuss future endeavors and brainstorm ideas. This forum held on
October 10, 2010, at Da-li

Church drew about 60 people and featured former Taiwan Theological
College and Seminary

President Lin Hong-hsin as the main speaker. Lin used this occasion
to remind his audience of

the importance of keeping in step with the needs of the times.

Using Taipei and Taichung as examples, Lin said PCT buildings and
ministries are very visible

in the older, established areas of these cities. But in recent years,
many new communities,

such as Nangang District (Taipei) and east Taipei, have sprung up due
to urban sprawl and

these newer, more recent communities may not even have one PCT local
church.

Lin underscored that if churches miss out in the early stages of a
community as it is being built

and defined, it will be much more expensive and challenging for
Christians to start churches

and ministries there after it has become fully grown and established.
That’s why he urged his

listeners to make use of every opportunity to share the gospel.

Taichung Presbytery Moderator Lai Hsin-song replied by pointing out
residents settling down in

the newer developments across Taichung were predominantly blue-collar
workers. “That’s why

we’re thinking of focusing on afterschool programs and more
out-of-the-box ministry models,“

Lai said.

He added it was imperative to discern some church or ministry
traditions that

were turning into barriers for churches – such as insistence on what
language to use during

services. Lai pressed on the need to be more diverse in church
ministries.

********************

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)