UMNS Daily Digest - October 15, 2010 (Young clergy, Hispanic migrant workers, Africa University, Chi

From "United Methodist News Service" <newsdesk@umcom.org>
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:04:10 -0700

   To ensure consistent delivery, please add [1]newsdesk@umcom.org to
your
                     contact and/or safe senders list.

           [2]View Online | [3]Add to Address Book | [4]Subscribe
       UMNS Daily Digest - Produced by United Methodist News Service
                          Friday, October 15, 2010
                    [5]New pastor back on college campus
                  [6]Clergy couple offers hope to migrants
                     [7]Students told 'Africa needs you'
             [8]GBCS seeks aid for persecuted Chinese Christians

   [9]10-Fold events
   this week»

   [10]UMTV: Hispanic Clergy Migrant Ministry»

   [11]UTMV: Chinese Church Helps Ugandan School»

   [12]Read Additional UMNS Stories»

   [13]Find us on Facebook

   [14]Twitter

    Contact Us
   [15]E-mail
   (615) 742-5470

  "I always felt called to work with young adults, and campus
ministry was
 intriguing to me. I experienced my own call to ministry through the
campus
   ministry at my college. I'm excited to be able to share that with
other
   students." â The Rev. Mara Bailey, campus minister at Nebraska
Wesleyan
                           University in Lincoln.

New pastor back on college campus

   LINCOLN, Neb. (UMNS) â A year after graduating from seminary, the
Rev. Mara
   Bailey finds herself back on a college campus. Only this time,
she's not a
   student - she's ministering to them. This is the fourth
installment of a
   yearlong series that follows newly appointed United Methodist
clergy as they
   begin their ministry.

                                 [16]Read full story and post a
comment»

Clergy couple offers hope to migrants

   TULARE COUNTY, Calif. (UMNS) â In northern California, grape
pickers work
   from  sunup to sundown during the harvest. Temperatures can exceed
100
   degrees.  When they are not working in the vineyard, they labor in
the
   vegetable field. Work is arduous, and living conditions are poor.
Marcelo
   and Corazón Escarzaga, both ordained in Mexico, find their
mission in rural
   churches near the vineyards.

                                 [17]Read full story and post a
comment»

Students told 'Africa needs you'

   OLD MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) â Stay home. Serve God. Use your
education to
   save your countries and help the continent develop. Vice
Chancellor Fanuel
   Tagwira drove home that message as he addressed first-year
students at
   Africa University in Zimbabwe.

   [18]Read full story and post a comment»

GBCS seeks aid for persecuted Chinese Christians

   WASHINGTON (UMNS) â  The United Methodist Board of Church and
Society calls
   for all church members to pray and speak out for Christians in
China who are
   being prevented from leaving the country and/or practicing their
faith.

   Chinese Christian leaders are being forbidden to travel to an
evangelical
   gathering in Cape Town, South Africa. The government claims the
event and
   the activities of these Christians are a threat to state security.
The
   actions of the Chinese government highlight the continuing
persecution of
   Christians and other faith traditions around the world, according
to the
   Board of Church and Society.

   The board calls upon members of The United Methodist Church to
pray, build
   awareness and contact the U.S. State Department at (202) 647-5291
and urge
   pressure  on  the Chinese government to lift restrictions on
people to
   practice their faith.
   Did  someone  you  know pass along this copy to you? Get your own
copy
   [19]here.

      United Methodist News Service is a ministry of United Methodist
                              Communications.

               Ministries of United Methodist Communications:

             [20]10thousanddoors.org
             [21]Rethink Church
             [22]TechShop
             [23]EcuFilm
             [24]UMC.org
   Program Journals:
      [25]Interpreter Magazine
      [26]El' Interprete
      [27]United Methodists In Service
             [28]InfoServ
             [29]Kingswood Communications
   [30]United Methodist News Service
      [31]UM Audio
      [32]UMTV
             [33]Foundation for United Methodist Communications
             [34]United Methodist Communications International
             [35]Global Health Initiative

          Products & Services of United Methodist Communications:

                     [36]Crisis Communications
                     [37]Communications Training
                     [38]Program Calendars
                     [39]United Methodist Press Center
                     [40]Scholarships
   [41]Promotional Resources for Apportionments, Special Sundays and
Designated
   Giving
                     [42]United Methodist Productions

       [43]http://umns.umc.org | [44]Privacy Policy | [45]Contact Us

 If you are reading a pass-along copy of this issue, please go here
to start
                your own account: [46]UMNS Subscriber Form.
United Methodist Communications Address: 810 12th Ave S, Nashville,
TN 37203

   [47]Unsubscribe from this mailing. [3850354494.gif]