[ENS] SOUTH CAROLINA: Convention approves 'protective' resolutions / Seamen's Church Institute chart

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:25:35 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>October 15, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTH CAROLINA: Convention approves 'protective'
resolutions
* MISSION - Seamen's Church Institute charts new course for
21st-century ministry
* MISSION - Interfaith forum with presiding bishop, Dalai Lama to be
webcast live
* PEOPLE - Archbishop of York among Sewanee's honorary degree
recipients
* DAYBOOK - October 18: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Will I See My Dog in Heaven?"

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SOUTH CAROLINA: Convention approves 'protective' resolutions

>By Matthew Davies and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Participants in the Diocese of South
Carolina's re-convened convention on Oct. 15 approved six resolutions
that the diocese said represent "an essential element of how we
protect the diocese from any attempt at unconstitutional intrusions
into our corporate life in South Carolina."

But not all the resolutions passed without dissension.

"It's clear that these resolutions are an implicit intent to separate
from the Episcopal Church, although the diocesan leadership all state
that they have no such intention," Rob Wendt, senior warden of Grace
Church (http://www.gracechurchcharleston.org), Charleston, and a lay
member of the diocesan convention, told ENS following the vote.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125222_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Seamen's Church Institute charts new course for 21st-century ministry

Organization to sell Manhattan facility, relocate ministries to
renovated New Jersey center

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service] Spurred by changes in technology and the
maritime industry, the Seamen's Church Institute is charting a new
course in its ministry to the world's mariners.

SCI is selling its six-story Water Street building in Manhattan, New
York, and relocating two of its flagship programs - the Center for
Seafarers' Rights, which provides legal services for seafarers around
the globe, and the Christmas at Sea "Knitting Room," the assembly
point for 17,000 knitted gifts collected annually for mariners - into
its newly renovated International Seafarers' Center in Port Newark,
New Jersey.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_125189_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Interfaith forum with presiding bishop, Dalai Lama to be webcast live

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
will join other world religious leaders Oct. 17-18 in an "Interfaith
Summit on Happiness: Understanding and Promoting Happiness in Today's
Society," at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory
University in Atlanta.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_125210_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Archbishop of York among Sewanee's honorary degree recipients

[Episcopal News Service] Sewanee: The University of the South, during
its annual Founders' Day Convocation on Oct. 12, awarded honorary
degrees to Archbishop of York John Sentamu and Emory Thomas, regents
professor of history emeritus at the University of Georgia.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_125207_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On October 18, 2010, the church remembers St. Luke.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 18, 1888, Leighton Coleman was
installed as the fourth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Will I See My Dog in Heaven?" from Paraclete Press, by Jack Wintz,
153 pages, paperback, c.2009, $14.99

[Paraclete Press] A Universal Question, thoughtfully answered!

What do you think: Will we see our dogs and cats in the hereafter?
Does God's plan for eternity include the created nonhuman world?
Franciscan friar and popular writer Father Jack Wintz brings a love
for all creation and infectious enthusiasm to the serious task of
exploring answers to these long-asked questions,

In Will I See My Dog in Heaven? Father Jack admits that no one really
knows what God has in mind for us in the next life. But in ten
thoughtful chapters, he lines up evidence from the Scriptures,
Christian tradition and liturgy, and the life and teachings of St.
Francis of Assisi, that God desires all creatures (yes, including our
beloved pets!) in the afterlife.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.