Relics of St. Vladimir of Kiev Coming to Yonkers Seminary

From Deborah Belonick <deborah@svots.edu>
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:20:36 -0400

>Dear Editor,

We would welcome a reporter/photographer to our campus in November
for the
extraordinary visitation of the relics of the St. Vladimir of Kiev,
the
pagan prince who converted the Russian and Ukrainian nations to
Christianity
in AD 988. A detailed press release is below, and you may view the
upcoming
event on our Website:
http://www.svots.edu/events/relics-st-vladimir-kiev-coming-seminary-chapel

>*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*[YONKERS, NY/SVOTS COMMUNICATIONS] *From November 13–14, 2010, St.
Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary in Yonkers, NY will house the
relics of its patron saint, Vladimir, the Grand Prince of Kievan Rus’.
Vladimir was the 10th-century pagan ruler of present-day Ukraine and
Belarus
who converted to Orthodox Christianity and then proceeded to have his
whole
nation baptized. He is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox, Greek
Catholic,
Roman Catholic, and Anglican faith traditions, and is revered by
Ukrainians
and Russians alike.

A reliquary containing the bones of St. Vladimir will be in the Three
Hierarchs Chapel of St. Vladimir’s Seminary for public viewing and
veneration for two days. This is the first time that these relics
have been
blessed to leave Ukraine to come to St. Vladimir's Seminary, and the
seminary is the only location in the United States that will be
privileged
to receive them. Throughout the fall, the relics have been venerated
by
thousands of Orthodox Christian believers in Canada.

“We are deeply honored to receive these relics of the patron saint of
our
school,” said Archpriest Chad Hatfield, chancellor and CEO of St.
Vladimi r’s
Seminary. “During this extraordinary occasion, we anticipate welcoming
thousands of pilgrims to our campus.”**

Please check the seminary’s Website, www.svots.edu, under “Upcoming
Eve nts”
for details as the November weekend draws near.