Buddhist temple helps Christian hospital in outreach for typhoon victims

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:44:09 -0700

3059 Edition

October 11~17, 2010

Church Ministry News

Buddhist temple helps Christian hospital in outreach for typhoon
victims

Reported by Chen Wei-chien

Written by Lydia Ma

One recent local news report in Taiwan announced Bao-An Shrine, a
local Buddhist temple,

had decided to build a walk-in clinic and had gotten help from Puli
Christian Hospital in Nantou,

which had agreed to provide stand-by counselors.

To answer speculations people may have about this unlikely
partnership, Puli Christian

Hospital’s head chaplain Rev. Hsiao Chin-feng said the two religious
organizations got

acquainted when Bao-An joined Puli in reaching out to people living
in remote mountains in

central Taiwan. He added that Bao-An had donated one ambulance to
Puli about 4 years ago

because it was impressed with Puli’s efforts and ministries.

Ever since then, top officials at both organizations have been
keeping in touch with one another

and have even rescued and served typhoon victims on various
occasions. Through genuine

outreach, Puli Christian Hospital slowly cemented its status in the
community, garnered a lot of

trust, and bridged pre-existing religious divides.

Hsiao added that a few other shrines beside Bao-An had also begun
medical fundraisers

under the auspices of Puli Christian Hospital. “All they’re asking
for is a responsible and

accountable organization to manage the funds so that they’ll really
go to people who need them

the most,” Hsiao said.

He also underscored the hospital’s mission in this ministry and
partnership was to follow Jesus’

command to love one’s neighbor as oneself. “Buddhist teachers
sometimes come to us

seeking medical treatment. We treat them with love, respect, and
affection and leave the rest to

God. Jesus’ love goes beyond a person’s religious affiliations. What
we need to do is simply

bring out love and goodness within every person.”

********************

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you
acknowledge the source as

"Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print
publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:
enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/
(English)

http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)