UCC's Fall StillSpeaking Magazine focuses on 'blessing'

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:07:47 -0700

Fall StillSpeaking Magazine focuses on 'blessing'

Written by Staff Reports
October 19, 2010

Building on the successful launch of StillSpeaking Magazine and its
enthusiastic reception by the UCC and ecumenical colleagues, the
magazine's sophomore offering will focus on the theme of "blessing."

Scheduled to begin mailing in early November, StillSpeaking Magazine's
Fall 2010 issue contains more of the personality profiles, stories of
transformation and inspirational columns found in the inaugural issue.
Accompanied by striking photography and compelling design, the
magazine has received acclaim in many settings.

"Wherever I go, people tell me they are proud to have StillSpeaking
Magazine as part of the UCC's communication efforts," says the Rev.
Gregg Brekke, StillSpeaking Magazine's editor. "Our communication
partners in other denominations and throughout the religious press
have been blown away by the magazine."

As many denominations and non-profit religious organizations are
scaling back or eliminating printed publications, Brekke says part of
the surprise is that the UCC would launch such a bold communications
product at this time.

"Everyone agrees that whatever we publish, and however we distribute
it, needs to be more effective than it was in the past," says Brekke.
"Publications that 'spray and pray' a lot of general information to a
huge, and often disinterested, audience aren't going to get attention.
We need to meet peoples' needs."

The UCC's communications group, in consultation with a nationally
representative advisory team, ceased publication of the printed
edition of United Church News in the fall of 2009. The paper had been
published for nearly 25 years and reached over 200,000 homes when it
stopped publication.

News of the denomination is now available online in real-time and in a
PDF downloadable digest which is published on the same even-month
schedule as United Church News.

"We haven't let go of publishing news, but that's not the focus of
StillSpeaking Magazine," says the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, the UCC's
director of communications. "The magazine is much more about
inspiration and transformation ? how God is working in the people,
churches and institutions of the United Church of Christ."

The Fall 2011 edition of StillSpeaking features stories of UCC members
engaged in volunteer ministries, foreign mission, starting new
churches, public service and national leadership. Also featured are
accounts of military chaplains in the UCC, churches aligning with the
UCC, local mission and a garden project that is also growing
community.

Keeping with the first issue's format, a multipage photo-essay ? this
time highlighting images of "blessing" around the UCC - is included as
are thought provoking columns by new and familiar voices.

"Once people saw the first issue we were bombarded with story ideas,"
says Brekke. "We're really excited to be able to capture the
enthusiasm of the UCC in this way ? telling stories of Good News that
motivate and inspire people in their faith is an amazing privilege."

Subscriptions to StillSpeaking Magazine are available at
<ucc.org/magazine

or by calling 800-537-3394.