[ENS] Liturgy and Music commission hears call for openness, equality for same-gender couples

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:43:16 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>October 20, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - Liturgy and Music commission hears call for openness,
equality for same-gender couples
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTHEAST FLORIDA: Diocese celebrates first
Portuguese Eucharist
* MISSION - Episcopal Relief & Development launches matching gift
challenge to raise $1 million for global needs
* VIDEO - Standing Commission continues conversations on same-gender
blessings
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS - October 24, 2010 - Twenty-Second Sunday
After Pentecost, Proper 25 - Year C
* DAYBOOK - October 21: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "The Inklings of Oxford - C. S.
Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their Friends"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Liturgy and Music commission hears call for openness, equality for
same-gender couples

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Ministering in the "middle of this cauldron
of multicultural activity" that is Harvard Square, the Rev. Joseph
Robinson, rector of Christ Church Cambridge in the Diocese of
Massachusetts says he wants to be able to welcome everyone, including
same-gender couples who want their relationships blessed.

"And what they're asking of me is that it's the same for everyone,
that it's done with intention, truthfulness and that it begins with
the words 'dearly beloved,'" Robinson told the Standing Commission on
Liturgy and Music Oct. 19 during a hearing here. "It needs to sound
like something that's recognizable."

"Whatever we do, whatever we offer our people, let it be eloquent, let
it be truthful, let it be prayer and let it be common because those
are the things which are the strengths of our church," Robinson added.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125295_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SOUTHEAST FLORIDA: Diocese celebrates first Portuguese Eucharist

>By Mary W. Cox

[Episcopal News Service] About 40 people gathered at St. Nicholas
Episcopal Church in Pompano Beach Oct. 17 to celebrate the first
Eucharist in Portuguese in the Episcopal Diocese of Southeast Florida.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125292_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Episcopal Relief & Development launches matching gift challenge to
raise $1 million for global needs

[Episcopal News Service] Any donation made to Episcopal Relief &
Development between Oct. 19 and Nov. 30 will be matched
dollar-for-dollar up to $500,000, according to an announcement from
the agency.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_125297_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>VIDEO

Standing Commission continues conversations on same-gender blessings

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg and Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church's Standing Commission on
Liturgy & Music meet with more than 30 representatives of the Province
I dioceses to hear about their experiences with blessing same-gender
unions.

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

October 24, 2010 - Twenty-Second Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 25 -
Year C

>By the Rev. Ken Kesselus

(RCL) Joel 2:23-32 and Psalm 65 (Track 2 OT: Sirach 35:12-17 or
Jeremiah 14:7-10, 19-22) (Track 2 psalm: Psalm 84:1-6); 2 Timothy
4:6-8, 16-18; Luke 18:9-14

[Sermons That Work] In the early years of our country, one Southern
family stood out in offering leadership to a fledgling nation. Most
renowned among the first families of Virginia, the Lees were wealthy,
capable, intelligent, and dedicated patriots.

Using the legend of this family and what some consider a bit of
overexposure, lyricist Sherman Edwards crafted a clever song for his
Broadway musical "1776." In a classic scene, John Adams asks fellow
Continental Congress member Richard Henry Lee to help the cause for
independence. He challenges the Virginia representative to get his
colony's House of Burgesses to pass a resolution calling for
independence from England. In the course of their conversation, Adams
prays, "God help us."

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_124765_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On October 21, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 21, 1990, the diocesan synod of the
Anglican Diocese of Cape Town, South Africa, voted overwhelmingly in
favor of the ordination of women to the priesthood. On October 21,
1986, the House of Bishops in England agreed that a bishop of the
Church of England should not exercise episcopal care over a priest and
congregation situated in a diocese of another province except with the
consent of the proper authorities of that province.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"The Inklings of Oxford - C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and Their
Frieds" from Zondervan, written by Harry Lee Poe, photography by James
Ray Veneman, 171 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $24.99

[Source: Zondervan] Oxford's fabled streets echo with the names of
such key figures in English history as Edmund Halley, John Wycliffe,
and John and Charles Wesley.  Of more recent times are those of C. S.
Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and the other members of the renowned
literary circle to which they belonged, the Inklings.

What would it be like to walk this medieval city's narrow lanes in the
company of such giants of Christian literature, to visit Magdalen
College, where Lewis and Tolkien read aloud their works-in-progress to
their friends, or the Eagle and Child pub, the Inklings' favorite
gathering place?

The lavish photography of this book will introduce you to the
fascinating world of the Inklings, matching their words to the places
where these friends discussed--and argued over--theology, philosophy,
ancient Norse myth, and Old Icelandic, while writing stories that were
to become classics of the faith.

The Inklings of Oxford will deepen your knowledge of and appreciation
for this unique set of personalities.  The book also features a
helpful map section for taking walking tours of Oxford University and
its environs.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.