[ENS] VIRGINIA: Fire destroys VTS chapel

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 07:51:48 -0400

>Episcopal News Service
>October 22, 2010

Episcopal News Service is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens.

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - VIRGINIA: Fire destroys VTS chapel
* DAYBOOK - October 25: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "The End of Suffering - Finding
Purpose in Pain"

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

>VIRGINIA: Fire destroys VTS chapel

>ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] A fire that broke out at 3:55 p.m. Oct. 22
destroyed the 129-year old Immanuel Chapel at Virginia Theological
Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia, according to news reports and a
statement from VTS.

"At this stage, the cause of the fire is unclear. The VTS Community is
saddened and devastated by this catastrophe," said the Very Rev. Ian
S. Markham, the seminary's dean, in a statement posted on its website.
"The buildings nearby are intact and safe. The ministry and mission of
VTS continue, even as the community grieves."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125350_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On October 25, 2010...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On October 25, 1877, the 32nd General Convention
of the Episcopal Church concluded in Boston. On October 25, 1958,
Martin F. Shaw, English sacred music organist, died.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"The End of Suffering - Finding Purpose in Pain" from Paraclete Press,
by Scott Cairns, 126 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $15.99

[Paraclete Press] Is there meaning in our afflictions?

With the thoughtfulness of a pilgrim and the prose of a poet, Scott
Cairns takes us on a soul-baring journey through "the puzzlement of
our afflictions." Probing ancient Christian wisdom for revelation in
his own pain, Cairns challenges us toward a radical revision of the
full meaning and breadth of human suffering.

Clear-eyed and unsparingly honest, this new addition to the literature
of suffering is reminiscent of The Year of Magical Thinking as well as
the works of C. S. Lewis. Cairns points us toward hope in the seasons
of our afflictions, because "in those trials in our lives that we do
not choose but press through -- a stillness, a calm, and a hope become
available to us."

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.