ACNS Weekly Review 23 - 29 October, 2010

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:54:59 -0700

Weekly Review 23 - 29 October, 2010

Posted On : October 28, 2010 5:07 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
ACNS:
<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/10/29/ACNS4744>http://
 www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2010/10/29/ACNS4744

A weekly roundup of Anglican Communion news plus
opinion, reviews, photos, profiles and other
things of interest from across the Anglican/Episcopal world.

This edition includes...

* This week's Anglican Communion news

* Audio - A feast for the ears: Church

Mission Society's (CMS) Audio Mission podcasts.

* Comment - Anglican Journal editor talks

about the pain of downsizing at the Anglican Church of Canada.

* Publication of the Week ? The Sea ? the
multilingual  publication of The Mission to Seafarers

* Bookshelf ? Andrew White ? ?The Vicar of
Baghdad? writes about his experiences.

* Obituary - The Reverend Canon Frederick Ernest Bedbrook

* The coming week's Anglican Cycle of Prayer.

________________

ANGLICAN NEWS

* Europe ?

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/27/A-year-o

n-European-Churches-still-have-Haiti-and-its-people-close-to-their-hearts>A
year on, European Churches still have Haiti and
its people close to their hearts

* England ?

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/27/Church-o
 f-England-publishes-latest-statistics-on-web>Church
of England publishes latest statistics on web

* West Indies ?

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/27/Anglican
 s-in-West-Indies-to-elect-Bishop>Anglicans
in West Indies to elect bishop

* Communion -

<http://sn.ieab.org.br/2010/10/25/rev-conego-francisco-de-assis-da-silva-el

eito-bispo-coadjutor-da-diocese-sul-ocidental/http:/www.anglicancommunion.o
rg/acns/news.cfm/2010/10/26/ACNS4743>Communion
seeks Director to oversee its new Anglican Alliance

* NZ -

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/27/Maori-ce
 lebrate-Sydney-outreach>Maori
celebrate Sydney outreach

* Ireland ?

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/22/Archbish
 op-of-Dublin-announces-his-intention-to-retire>Archbishop
of Dublin announces his intention to retire

* Brasil -

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/25/Brasil:-
 Rev.-Conego-Francisco-de-Assis-da-Silva-eleito-Bispo-Coadjutor>Brasil:
Rev. Conego Francisco de Assis d Silva eleito Bispo Coadjutor

* Brazil -

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/25/Brasil:-
 Rev.-Conego-Francisco-de-Assis-da-Silva-eleito-Bispo-Coadjutor>Brazil:
Rev. Canon Francisco de Assis Silva is elected Bishop Coadjutor

* Philippines

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/22/Church-m
 inister-shot-dead-in-the-Philippines>Church
minister shot dead in the Philippines

* Nigeria -

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/22/Nigerian

-priest-Prison-congestion-delayed-justice-remain-the-bane-of-Nigerian-judic
iary>Nigerian
priest: ?Prison congestion, delayed justice
remain the bane of Nigerian judiciary.?

* USA ?

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm/2010/10/22/Fire-des
 troys-Virginia-Theological-Seminary-chapel>Fire
destroys Virginia Theological Seminary chapel

_______________

AUDIO

Despite having a long and distinguished history
<http://www.cms-uk.org/>CMS, the Church Mission
Society, could hardly be more up-to-date when it
comes to capturing the stories of those who are
working as its partners overseas. By visiting the
charity?s
<http://www.cms-uk.org/Resources/Podcasts/tabid/141/language/en-US/Default.
 aspx>Audio
Mission page you can listen to interviews on a
range of subjects and with a range of mission partners including:

* Jill Ball who founded the charity Life in

Abundance Trust that runs a special school for
children with disabilities in Ecuador.

* A special report from CMS?s Jeremy Woodham
about Izhod, a network of drug rehabilitation
centres across Russia, which are helping hundreds
of people break free from addiction every year.

* Paul and Sarah Tester who work with young
people in the Diocese of Peru, providing
playschemes and youth discipleship training.

* An anonymous worker who talks about life

for Christians in a police state and what it
means for him tlive and work alongside them.

* A documentary looking at the life and work
of Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the slave boy who went
on to become the first black Anglican bishop.

_______________

COMMENT

Survival in the age of uncertainty.

By Kristin Jenkins, Editor of the

<http://www.anglicanjournal.com/fileadmin/Image_Archive/Current_Issue/AJ-Oc
 t2010-web.pdf>Anglican
Journal

Have you ever been fired? I have. More than once.
Oddly, it was never for the things I thought were
just cause. Like the time, as a rookie staff
reporter, I got an assignment to take portrait
photos of four high-profile Toronto  physicians.
I cabbed it hither and yon, from one end of the
city to the other, a fistful of cab chits at the
ready. When I got back to the newsroom, my
curious colleagues (all male) watched
surreptiously as I opened the back of the 35 mm
Nikkormat only to discover...dear Lord, let me
fall through a hole in the floor right now...no
film! Instead of firing me, the snickering news
editor made me go right back out and do it all
over again. Which meant, of course, it was also my job to explain to
each
of the harried physicians that they had to stop
everything (again) and sit for a photo (again).
Fortunately, they seemed even more amused than
the news editor, which was great, because they
relaxed. So the photos were better.

Then there was the time I ran the same news story
in two consecutive issues of a biweekly
newspaper. With the kind of detachment one
experiences when utterly mortified, I noticed
that I had given the story the same prominent
placement (page 2), but the headline was better.
All was not lost, the optimist in me reasoned. My
headline writing is improving! And in only two weeks!

No, I got fired for reasons other than

incompetence. I got fired for money reasons...or
lack thereof. Both times I was a freelance
contributor, so the hit wasn?t as hard as if I
had lost a staff position. Nevertheless, it came
as a shock to learn that my services were no
longer required. In one instance, I got the call
on my birthday, just as I was leaving to meet friends for dinner.

Nowadays, it seems a lot of people are  getting
fired, most for no fault of their own. Even one
generation ago, things were different. It used to
be that you were hired to do a job and if you
kept your head down and your nose clean, you
could keep doing that job or be promoted within
the same company right up until you retired.
There is no such thing as job security anymore.
In any industry. So why should the national
office of the Anglican Church of Canada be any
different? By the time you read this column,
there is a good chance that more staff at Church
House will be gone, the result of further
downsizing. After two years of cuts to budget and
staff, the biggest cut of all is waiting in the
wings. In order to shave $1.1 million from the
2011 operating budget, the entire structure of
Church House is changing. The goal is to create a
sustainable budget and avoid further staff cuts.
Perhaps some services will be amalgamated and
others outsourced. One thing we know for sure:
jobs will disappear and with them, members of the Church House family.

In 2011, I have no doubt the national office will
look very different. How will this new structure
support God?s work? We will have to wait and see.
But I do have faith that things will work out,
even if we don?t know all the details yet. When
the going gets tough, effective communication
becomes more important than ever. It keeps people
connected, visible and heard. It is the way in
which we can all continue to feel valued, part of
the whole. The restructuring of Church House
brings with it an opportunity to draw closer to
people in the parishes across Canada, to share
more stories about people living their faith. God
willing, the Journal will continue to seek out and give voice to
those stor ies.

One of the things I?ve learned from my  own
experience is that sometimes, job loss can
correct the course of life, opening up entire new
worlds. In my case, it brought me to a better
place. In May 2008, I lost my job for the third
time and the impact went far beyond anything I
could have  imagined. For one, it created a
domino effect, progressing rapidly to a series of
losses that touched every area of my life. I lost
my home, my significant other, my car, my pride.
There were days when the stress threatened to
crush me. In moments of sheer panic, I would
focus on the thought: ?I am all right in this
moment. I am all right in this moment.? The
period of transition, in which I camped out at a
friend?s house, all my clothes in hockey bags
borrowed from another friend, was a real
eye-opener. I learned a lot about myself and who
I really am. I discovered I am stronger and more
resilient than I thought. Things I had always
assumed I could never cope with, such as the loss
of independence, were actually no big deal. Out
of my new vulnerability emerged closer
connection. I didn?t feel so isolated and alone.
Instead, I felt supported. I came to see that
everything of real value was still present in my
life: my health, my beautiful daughter, my family
and friends. Every day I counted my blessings,
and thanked God for each and every one.  And
then, life began to change again. Riding my bike
became a passion and I got into the best shape of
my life, shedding 15 pounds in the process. I
felt healthier, more alive. I reconnected with
old friends and forged new connections.
Eventually, a new home found me, then a new relationship.

A year later, I accepted the editor?s job at the
Journal. I showed up full of energy and ideas,
with a 30-year track record in corporate
publishing. Still, people wanted to know where
I?d come from. I skipped the part about my trip
to hell and back. I like to say God found me, but
I think she?s pretty much been steering things
every step of the way. All I know is that by
losing ?everything,? I came to appreciate how
much I really have. I am truly grateful. As I
look around at the various members of the Church
House family, I see many who have survived much
more profound losses than I. We are all
struggling, every day, to make sense of shifting
realities, to live with uncertainty. It?s
difficult, no question. These are stressful,
anxious times. Life is not always about dodging a
bullet, although it?s a huge relief when one
does. Actually, I think the real test is what you
do with the wound.  I will continue to count my
blessings. Whatever?s ahead, I?m not afraid anymore.

_______________

PUBLICATION OF THE WEEK

Loneliness, danger and separation from loved ones
are just some of the problems seafarers face.
Around the world, night and day,
<http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/about-us>The
Mission to Seafarers provides help and support to
those in need. As a Christian (and Anglican
Communion) agency its works in more than 230
ports caring for the practical and spiritual
welfare of seafarers of all nationalities and faiths.

Through its global network of chaplains, staff
and volunteers it reaches out to seafarers by
visiting them on their ships, offering them the
hand of welcome and friendship, and caring for them in their hour of
need.
In over 100 ports it also run centres which
provide ?a home away from home?. These are places
where seafarers can contact their loved ones from
whom they are separated for months on end,
receive assistance with any problems they may be
facing and get a break from their demanding way
of life onboard ship. You can find out more about
what The Mission to Seafarers does by visiting
their website at
<http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/>http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/

Or  you could read the latest copy of The Sea,
the magazine that it produces every two months
for seafarers and those in the maritime industry
(<http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/resources/the-sea>http://www.missiontos
 eafarers.org/resources/the-sea).
This includes articles in Spanish, Russia and
Mandarin as well as English. There?s also The
Flying Angel News newspaper
(<http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/resources/flying-angel-news>http://www.
 missiontoseafarers.org/resources/flying-angel-news)
for supporters of the agency.

_______________

BOOKSHELF

Suffer the Children - Dispatches To and From the
Front Line by Andrew White ? ?The Vicar of Baghdad?

This is a very personal insight into the life and
work of Andrew White ? ?The Vicar of Baghdad?
written by himself. He tells how the children in
his life have an influence out of all proportion
to their importance in the eyes of the world. His
own two boys, the circle of children at St
George?s Baghdad who take it upon themselves to
surround him with their love and care at every
opportunity and the children of All Nations
Church, Charlotte, USA who do likewise when he visits there.

He has been able to build loving and lasting
relationships between these children from such
different backgrounds, widening their
understanding of the situation beyond the thinking of their nation?s
adul ts.

Andrew has made some pertinent comments on the
various situations he finds himself in, but
always comes back to the reliance he places on
the support these children give so unstintingly.
Thought provoking and informative, moving to read.

Paperback
Price: £9.99
Publisher: Continuum
Published: June 2010
ISBN:978-1-847-06374-8

Review by Mary Bartholomew on

<http://www.thegoodbookstall.org.uk>http://www.thegoodbookstall.org.uk

_______________

OBITUARIES

From the office of The Office of the Archbishop,
Anglican Diocese of Melbourne:

The Reverend Canon Frederick Ernest Bedbrook

The Reverend Canon Fred Bedbrook died on the evening of Friday 22
October 2 010.

Canon Fred Bedbrook had a lifelong passion for
mission. In 1966 he saw an advertisement for a
chief accountant position in Zambia .  While
there the Archbishop encouraged him in vocation
and he was ordained deacon in Central Africa in
1969. He served from 1969 to 1970 as curate in
the cathedral of Lusaka Zambia . Upon returning
to Melbourne he was ordained priest in 1970.

In Melbourne his ministries included being

Assistant Curate at St Paul?s Cathedral from 1970
? 1972 and Priest in Charge of South Camberwell from 1976 ? 1979.

Fred Bedbrook served in Papua New Guinea from
1972 ? 1976, as General Secretary of the Anglican
Church,  and was later made a Canon of the
Provincial Cathedral of PNG. He held key
positions with ABM, with SPCKA, and with the
National Home Mission Fund where he was Treasurer
from 1979 ? 1986 and Chair from 1985-1990.

From 1979 ? 1986 Canon Bedbrook was
Secretary/Manager of  the Australian Clergy
Provident Fund, later known as Anglican Superannuation Australia.

He retired from active ministry in 1986 but
served as Honorary Assistant Curate at
Torquay/Anglesea/Mt Duneed from 1986 ? 1994. He
also undertook locum positions in Carpentaria and
in Papua New Guinea , where he maintained strong links.

A Thanksgiving Service will be held on Thursday
28 October, at 11 00 am at Christ Church Geelong,
cnr Moorabool and McKillop Streets.  Clergy
attending are invited to robe with alb and white stole.

His daughter, Margaret Tembo, says that her

father?s greatest commitment was to the love of
spreading the gospel. He needed to show how Jesus
could fulfil all people?s needs. The Gospel
reading for the Thanksgiving Service, chosen by Fred, is John 12:
20-33.

We give thanks to God for the life of Frederick
Ernest Bedbrook and for his long and faithful
ministry in the service of our Lord.

We commend him to God and pray for his wife, Marjorie, and family

***********

Charles A. Perry, former cathedral provost and seminary dean, dies at
81

By Episcopal News Service staff, October 27, 2010

The Rev. Dr. Charles A. Perry, former Washington
National Cathedral provost and Church Divinity
School of the Pacific seminary dean, died Oct. 23
of a heart attack while on a trip to Asheville, North Carolina. He
was 81.

Perry served the cathedral as chief pastor,

administrator, and fundraiser from 1978 to 1990.
He was installed Oct. 26, 1990, as CDSP's dean
and retired in 1995. He was dean while Presiding
Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori earned a Master
of Divinity from the Berkeley, California-based school in 1994.

He is credited with saving the cathedral from
$10.5 million of debt during his tenure and
additionally with raising the funds to complete
the cathedral's construction, according to a press release from the
cathedr al.

His funeral will take place Oct. 31 at St. Paul's
Memorial Church in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Diocese of Virginia Bishop Shannon Johnston will
preside and St. Paul's rector, the Rev. Jim
Richardson, will preach. Perry will later be
interred at the cathedral, at a service to be
announced. His wife Joy, his son Russell Keith
Perry, daughter Dana Leslie Smith, and five grandchildren survive him.

"The entire cathedral community mourns not only
the loss of such a significant figure in the
history of this cathedral, but also the loss of
an extraordinarily faithful priest and leader,"
the Very Rev. Samuel T. Lloyd III, cathedral
dean, wrote in a letter to the cathedral
community. "We give thanks to God for the
resolute leadership and devoted service of
Charles Perry, one of the cathedral?s giants."

Perry was appointed cathedral provost by

then-Bishop of Washington John T. Walker and had
previously served the Diocese of Washington as
executive officer for seven years. As provost,
Perry was responsible for the cathedral's
day-to-day operations. He also highlighted the
cathedral's ministry as a national house of
prayer, planning a "Service of Prayer for World
Peace" in memory of assassinated Egyptian
President Anwar El-Sadat in 1981. Perry also
organized the cathedral's Vietnam War Vigil and
Memorial Service, held Nov. 10-14, 1982, during
which 57,939 names of dead or missing Americans
were read aloud during a 56-hour vigil.

Richardson, a friend of Perry's, wrote on his
blog that at CDSP Perry "presided over a
difficult era of transition into a more inclusive
and wider vision for theological education. Some
very good priests came through CDSP in his time."

A native of White Plains, New York, Perry

received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Cornell
University and his Master of Divinity degree from
Virginia Theological Seminary. He also held a
master's degree in public administration from the University of
Minnesota

ENDS

____________________

<http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm?year=2010&month=10&day
=31>ANGLICAN
CYCLE OF PRAYER (click the link for the full details of the ACP)

* Friday 29 Oct ? Jabalpur ? (North India) The Rt Revd Dr Prem Chan d
Singh

* Saturday 30 Oct - Jaffna - (South India)
The Rt Revd Dr Daniel Thiagarajah

* Sunday 31 Oct - Pray for the Church of

Ceylon (Extra-Provincial to the Archbishop of Canterbury)

* Monday 1 Nov ? Jalingo (Province of Jos,
Nigeria) The Rt Rev Timothy Yahaya

* Tuesday 2 Nov -  Jamaica & The Cayman
Islands - (West Indies) The Rt Revd Alfred
Charles Reid; Jamaica - Kingston - (West Indies)
The Rt Revd Robert McLean Thompson; Jamaica -
Mandeville - (West Indies) The Rt Revd Dr Harold
Benjamin Daniel; Jamaica - Montego Bay - (West
Indies) The Rt Revd Howard Kingsley Ainsworth Gregory.

* Wednesday 3 Nov - PRAY for the Anglican

Legal Advisers' Network (ACLAN) as it examines
shared legal problems and possible solutions in
the Provinces of the Communion; Jebba - (Province
of Ibadan, Nigeria) The Rt Revd Sunday Adewole.

* Thursday 4 Nov ? Johannesburg ? (South
Africa) The Rt Revd Brian Charles Germond