[ENS] VTS chapel fire ruled accidental / SAN JOAQUIN: Bishop, Standing Committee raise 'grave concer

From <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 06:45:09 -0400

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/episcopal_news

>Today's Episcopal News Service includes:

* TOP STORY - VTS chapel fire ruled accidental
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SAN JOAQUIN: Bishop, Standing Committee raise
'grave
concerns' about Springfield election
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTH CAROLINA: Bishop removes four priests from
ordained ministry
* VIDEO - St. Martin's carillon rings out in Harlem
* DAYBOOK - November 1: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK - "Josephine Butler - A Guide to
her
Life, Faith, and Social Action"

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>VTS chapel fire ruled accidental

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Oct. 22 fire that quickly destroyed the
chapel at Virginia Theological Seminary has been ruled accidental.

The United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
(ATF) announced its findings Oct. 28. ATF's National Response Team,
along with ATF special agents from Falls Church, Virginia, and
Washington, D.C., worked with the Alexandria Fire Department to
investigate the cause of the fire. The federal response is routine
when
a fire of this size occurs in a house of worship, the seminary and the
ATF said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79425_125486_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens

>__________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SAN JOAQUIN: Bishop, Standing Committee raise 'grave concerns' about
Springfield election

Central California diocese calls upon others to withhold consent from
Martins

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Bishop Jerry Lamb and the Standing Committee
of
the Episcopal Diocese of San Joaquin have raised "grave concerns"
about
the election and planned March 19, 2011, consecration of the Rev.
Daniel
Martins as bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Springfield, Illinois.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125483_ENG_HTM.htm
_ _ _ _ _

SOUTH CAROLINA: Bishop removes four priests from ordained ministry

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina Bishop
Mark
Lawrence has removed four priests from ordained ministry in the
Episcopal Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_125473_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>VIDEO

>St. Martin's carillon rings out in Harlem

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] Michael Smith discovered the carillon at St.
Martin's Episcopal Church in Harlem during his morning bicycle commute
and began playing it regularly eight years ago. The carillon was
installed by St. Martin's community in 1949 -- its bells can be heard
throughout the neighborhood most Sundays.

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On November 1, 2010, the church remembers All Saints Day.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On November 1, 1993, Mary Adelia Mcleod was
consecrated bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Vermont. Mcleod is the
first woman elected to serve as head of a diocese in the Episcopal
Church in the United States.

>_____________________

>EPISCOPAL BOOKS & RESOURCES PICK

"Josephine Butler - A Guide to her Life, Faith, and Social Action"
from
Darton, Longman and Todd, by Rod Garner, 107 pages, paperback, c.
2009,
$13.95

[Darton, Longman and Todd] Forgotten saint? Proto-feminist? Josephine
Butler's story is one of incredible passion and tenacity and deserves
be better known.

Born in 1828 in Northumberland, her father John Grey was a social
reformer and campaigned for the abolition of slavery. From him
Josephine
inherited a deep concern for the marginalized of society, rooted in a
radical Christian faith.

Together with her husband, George Butler,with whom she shared a
remarkable and life-long marriage, she reached out to the poor and
destitute, often inviting them to live in the Butler's own home.
Appalled by the double standards ofVictorian society, she campaigned
and
worked tirelessly to bring about the repeal of the Contagious Diseases
Acts, which allowed women suspected of prostitution to be arrested and
forcibly subjected to painful and humiliating examination. In an age
when women were not expected to have opinions she refused to be silent
and campaigned for equal education for women. She spoke out in public
on
subjects that shocked her contemporaries and remained strong and
determined against all kinds of injustice, despite her own ill health
and suffering.

In this lively and well drawn portrait, Rod Garner brings to life
Josephine's incredible achievements, but also delves in to her
personality and reveals the deep faith and prayer life that sustained
her in her work. Each chapter ends with a reflection and questions to
aid further study, making this an inspiring and original book for
group
or individual study.

To order, please visit Episcopal Books and Resources online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, call 800-903-5544, or visit your
local Episcopal bookstore.