UCC - Muslims, Christians walk the walk, unite efforts of compassion in Pa.

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:40:09 -0700

Muslims, Christians walk the walk, unite efforts of compassion in Pa.

Written by Jeff Woodard
October 26, 2010

Members of two faiths traditionally divided came
together this month in a mutual show of
compassion in Reading, Pa., where Muslim brothers
and sisters joined their Christian counterparts in serving the
underserved.

On Oct. 3, congregants of Immanuel UCC in
Shillington, Pa., teamed with members of
Reading's Islamic Center for a 2.3-mile walk that
culminated in the parking lot of a local
restaurant, where they helped nearly 200 people
pick up coats, clothing, shoes and other items,
along with sandwiches and snacks.

"God's grace sometimes becomes apparent in

unlikely settings," says the Rev. Megan Huesgen,
pastor of Immanuel UCC. "The event was one in
which we shared our experience of God's grace and the spirit on the
move."

Young people ? some in t-shirts and jeans, others
in long dresses and headscarves ? took turns
painting flowers, whiskers and peace signs on
children's faces. Youths from the church and the
mosque played with the children who had come with
their parents to get clothing, sharing laughter
and friendship as well as the donated items. Adult members did
likewise.

"It's given us a real sense of spirit in terms of
paying attention to our sense of community," says
Huesgen, noting that the Islamic Center invites
Immanuel members to Ramadan. "This was especially
important during this time because it was during
that week that the Florida pastor was talking
about burning the Quran. Timing is everything."

An additional blessing, says Huesgen, is that
individuals used the experience to take a strong
sense of mission into their daily lives. Among them:

* the elementary school student home sick from
school, writing a letter to classmates, who responded with bagfuls of
donat ions
* the high school student hanging posters to
encourage classmates to donate sneakers, shoes and coats
* the global-studies teacher coordinating and
hosting an assembly for middle school students to
learn firsthand about Islam from a practicing Muslim.

"Making these connections ? living, practicing
their faith every day of the week and
strengthening community ? were all unexpected
outcomes," says Huesgen. "Blessed gifts!"

For Sue McCoy, the essence of the event was one man and one coat.

"As I was moving around, I saw a man with a coat
in one arm and a bag in the other," says McCoy,
longtime Immanuel member who was on the outreach
committee organizing the event. "Our eyes met,
and I asked him if he found what he was looking
for. He smiled and said, 'Yes, look at this
coat!' It was practically brand new, and he held
it like it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. I was so
happy for  him.

"As we parted, he said, 'May you be blessed by
all of this!' I offered him a blessing in return,
and his comment was 'I am blessed!' "

"The coat given, no longer needed or wanted; the
coat received, needed and wanted ? same coat," says McCoy. "God is
good!"

Plans for the next walk are underway, says

Huesgen. "We are confident that God will guide
and direct us, and bless us with the same grace
we've experienced. It is truly difficult to put
into words how palpable the Spirit was not only
throughout the Oct. 3 walk and the sharing of
gifts, but also in the preparation."