United Church of Christ Officers Offer Prayers for Tuscon Shooting Victims

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:57:57 -0800

UCC Collegium offers prayer for Tucson shooting victims

Written by Staff Reports
January 10, 2011

The UCC's five-member Collegium of Officers has
issued the following prayer in the wake of the
fatal shooting in Tucson, Ariz., Jan. 9, that killed six and wounded
14.

God of justice and peace, we come with heavy
hearts to lift up those involved in the shooting
in Tucson this past weekend. We pray especially
for those recovering from their wounds and for
the families of those killed and injured. Grant
them healing and strength, and sustain them in the days and weeks to
come.

We cry out for a spirit of forgiveness. We cry
out for mercy for the innocent. We cry out for understanding.

Help us find ways to disagree without resorting
to violence. Teach us patience to wait in hope of
your promised reign of peace ? where anger is
transformed into kindness and love. We join with
other Americans, and those around the world, in
the desire for a more perfect union and the high ideals to which we
aspire.

Amen.

Collegium members are General Minister and

President the Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, Associate
General Minister Edith Guffey, Justice and
Witness Ministries Executive Minister the Rev.
Linda M. Jaramillo, Local Church Ministries
Executive Minister the Rev. Stephen Sterner, and
Wider Church Ministries Executive Minister the Rev. Cally
Rogers-Witte.