Newsline: Brethren leader joins in national call to civility following Arizona shootings

From CoBNews <CoBNews@brethren.org>
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:09:03 -0600

Newsline: Church of the Brethren News Service, News Director Cheryl

Brumbaugh-Cayford, 800-323-8039 ext. 260, cobnews@brethren.org

Church leader joins in national call to civility following Arizona
shooting

(Jan. 13, 2011) Elgin, IL -- Church of the Brethren general secretary
Stan

Noffsinger has added his signature to a letter to members of Congress

following the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and a member of her

staff, federal district judge John Roll, and 17 others this past
Saturday in

Tucson, Ariz. Six people were killed in the attack and 14 people were

>wounded.

The letter, pulled together by the organization "Faith in Public
Life" and

signed by national religious leaders, thanks elected representatives
for

their service and expresses support as they cope with the trauma. It
also

encourages reflection on the often heated political rhetoric in the
nation,

and continued commitment to robust dialogue and democracy. It is to be

published today as a full-page advertisement in "Roll Call."

"As Americans and members of the human family," the letter opens, "we

are grieved by the recent tragedy in Tucson, Arizona. As Christian,
Muslim,

and Jewish leaders, we pray together for all those wounded, including

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords as she fights for her life. Our
hearts

break for those lives lost and for the loved ones left behind.

"We also stand with you, our elected officials, as you continue to
serve our

nation while coping with the trauma of this senseless attack," the
letter

continues, in part. "This tragedy has spurred a sorely needed time of
soul

searching and national public dialogue about violent and vitriolic
political

rhetoric. We strongly support this reflection, as we are deeply
troubled that

rancor, threats, and incivility have become commonplace in our public

>debates."

In a separate interview, Noffsinger shared his concern for all those
affected

by the shooting, including the perpetrator. "I pray for this young
man's soul,

I pray for his family," he said, noting that the incident calls
Christians to

work harder to minister with those at the margins and be attentive to
violent

rhetoric. "How inappropriate it is for us to use rhetoric that places
people

within the sights of our discourse," Noffsinger said. "It is as bad
as pulling

>the trigger."

Among numerous other statements from American religious leaders

responding to the shooting, a release from the National Council of
Churches

(NCC) called for renewal of efforts for gun control and civil
discourse. The

NCC noted that it has been less than eight months since its governing
board

called for action to end gun violence--a statement that received
support from

the Church of the Brethren's Mission and Ministry Board last July
when it

>adopted a "Resolution on Ending Gun Violence"

(see
www.brethren.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=11599<http://www.brethren.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=11599>;

the NCC resolution is at
www.ncccusa.org/NCCpolicies/gunviolence.pdf<http://www.ncccusa.org/NCCpolicies/gunviolence.pdf>
 ).

More resources for those engaged in prayer and reflection are
available at

the General Secretary's page,
www.brethren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=office_general_secretary<http://www.brethren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=office_general_secretary>
 . Worship resources from the NCC

include two prayer hymns on gun violence by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette,

go to
www.ncccusa.org/news/110110gillettehymnprayers.html<http://www.ncccusa.org/news/110110gillettehymnprayers.html>
 .

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to

continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out
its

faith in community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and
Pietist

faith traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It
celebrated

its 300th anniversary in 2008. It counts some 123,000 members across
the

United States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in

Nigeria, Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and India.