Week of Prayer for Christian Unity Jan. 18-25

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:20:34 -0500

This year's Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
centers on Jerusalem and essentials of the faith

New York, January 13, 2011 -- The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity,
to be celebrated January 18-25 in most Christian churches in the
northern hemisphere, will be grounded in the experience of the
churches in Jerusalem.

The theme - "One in the apostles' teaching, fellowship, breaking of
bread and prayer" (Acts 2:42) - was chosen by a group of Christian
leaders in Jerusalem. The leaders intend the theme as a call for
inspiration and renewal, a return to the essentials of the faith,
and a call to remember the time when the church was still one.

"Since unity is ultimately a gift of God and not simply a human
achievement, prayer for unity is at the heart of the ecumenical
movement," said the Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, National Council of
Churches general secretary.

"We do not get discouraged, even when division seems rampant, because
we trust that God's reconciling love is at work in the world,
calling us, as I Corinthians puts it, to be ambassadors of that
reconciliation," Kinnamon said. "The Week of Prayer is not just a
nice occasion for friends to gather; it is a time to give thanks to
God for the gift and promise of unity, to be renewed in our
ecumenical resolve by the assurance of God's leading, and to
recommit ourselves to participate in what God is doing to overcome
the barriers between God's children."

Kinnamon noted that this year's theme is "particularly appropriate,
not only for the churches in Jerusalem but for all of us seeking
renewal in our common Christian faith."

"When Christian minority communities are threatened or oppressed in
Jerusalem or Gaza or Egypt or Myanmar or anywhere in the world, it's
important to remember that these Christian sisters and brothers are
our beloved neighbors," he said. "We may think back with longing to
a historic period when the church was one; but in a deeper sense, we
who are united in a common faith in Jesus Christ will never be
separated."

World Council of Churches general secretary Rev. Dr Olav Fykse Tveit
wrote in a letter to churches introducing the prayers for 2011, "The
unity of the church we seek is not a mere abstraction. For
Christians in Jerusalem, who live in continuity with the apostolic
community of Jerusalem, the mother church of us all, such unity
entails prayer, reflection and a cry arising within a context of
despair and suffering. Together with them we trust that God is ever
vigilant as we pray for peace and justice for all inhabitants of the
Holy Land."

Resources for observing the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity can be
found at www.oikoumene.org.

Traditionally, the week of prayer mobilizes countless congregations
and parishes around the world. During that week, Christians from
different confessional families get together and - at least on that
occasion - pray together in special ecumenical celebrations.

The production of the liturgical and biblical material for the week
of prayer is jointly coordinated since 1968 by the World Council of
Churches' Commission on Faith and Order) and the Roman Catholic
Church's Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

Resources for the week are available in English, French, German,
Portuguese and Spanish, and include an introduction to the theme; a
suggested ecumenical celebration which local churches are encouraged
to adapt for their own particular liturgical, social and cultural
contexts; biblical reflections and prayers for the "eight days"; and
additional prayers from, and an overview of, the ecumenical
situation in Jerusalem.

At least once a year, many Christians become aware of the great
diversity of ways of adoring God. Hearts are touched, and people
realize that their neighbors' ways are not so strange.

Each year, ecumenical partners in a particular region are asked to
prepare a basic text on a biblical theme. Then an international
group with WCC-sponsored (Protestant and Orthodox) and Roman
Catholic participants edits this text and ensures that it is linked
with the search for the unity of the church.

The text is jointly published by the Pontifical Council for Promoting
Christian Unity and WCC, through the WCC's Commission on Faith and
Order, which also accompanies the entire production process of the
text. The final material is sent to member churches and Roman
Catholic dioceses, and they are invited to translate the text and
contextualize it for their own use.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of
Christ in the USA has been the leading force for shared ecumenical
witness among Christians in the United States. The NCC's 37 member
communions -- from a wide spectrum of Protestant, Anglican,
Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African American and Living Peace
churches -- include 45 million persons in more than 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact: Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),
646-853-4212 (cell), pjenks@ncccusa.org