Kinnamon urges NCC board and communion heads to join call for control of assault weapons

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:54:07 -0500

Kinnamon urges NCC board and communion representatives
to join the call for control of assault weapons and hand guns

NCC to join with interfaith partners in 'Vigils Against Violence'

New York, January 14, 2011 -- On the eve of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity,
the general secretary of the National Council of Churches has called on individual
NCC governing board members, communion heads and other representatives to let their
political officials know they oppose the easy availability of fire arms.

"I strongly urge you to write your own congressional delegates and state
governor, letting them know that you, too, are the NCC -- and that together we say
an emphatic 'No!' to laws that allow assault weapons and handguns with oversize
magazines to be readily available on our city streets," Kinnamon wrote today
in a letter to NCC representatives.

Kinnamon said his message comes "in the aftermath of the tragic shooting in
Tucson, an event which I am sure we have all named in our personal times of prayer."

A surge of voices from national, state and local bodies will remind political
leaders of the scope of the NCC's partnerships, Kinnamon noted. "When we send
letters from the NCC office to Congress and/or the Administration, they are too
often dismissed as the message of a single organization instead of the collective
witness of a community of communions," Kinnamon wrote.

Kinnamon noted that the NCC Governing Board adopted a resolution against gun
violence last May.

"Ending Gun Violence: A Resolution and Call to Action by the National Council
of Churches " calls upon the NCC's member communions to "prayerfully,
financially, and otherwise support the NCC staff in coordinating ecumenical efforts
for gun violence reduction, including preparing educational materials about the
magnitude of gun violence, developing avenues for dialogue among gun owners and gun
control advocates within our congregations, and offering a faithful witness in
cooperating with inter-faith and nonreligious anti-gun advocacy organizations."

The full text of the resolution can be downloaded at
http://www.ncccusa.org/NCC policies/gunviolence.pdf

Kinnamon wrote: "In addition to prayer and calls for civility, I believe this
is also the moment to press our long-standing concern as a community of Christian
communions for laws aimed at reducing gun violence in America. It is not exploiting
(Tucson) tragedy for followers of the Prince of Peace to say, 'Enough!' Every
serious study on the subject shows that easy access to guns is a menace to our
nation's public health."

Kinnamon cited a column by Nicholas Kristof in the New York Times calling
for regulations "to regulate guns as seriously as toys."

Kinnamon said the NCC staff is "collaborating with the Jewish Council on
Public Affairs, the Islamic Society of North America, and the U.S. Conference of
Catholic Bishops in order to provide materials and encouragement for Vigils Against
Violence in communities across the country. Our colleagues in various state and
local councils have indicated strong interest in helping to coordinate such vigils;
and I hope that many of you will look for opportunities to be involved and to
encourage others in your communion to do the same."

The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity is an appropriate time for NCC member
communions to take collective action on the issue of gun violence, Kinnamon said.
(See also http://www.ncccusa.org/news/110113weekofprayer.html)

"As I see it, the ecumenical movement is a movement for unity, but also
a movement for peace-and the two go hand in hand. It is important to advocate for
sane gun laws. But our most significant witness for peace in a culture of violence
is our ability to live trustfully with differences because of our shared faith in
Jesus Christ, the One whose life, death, and resurrection make possible a more
excellent way ... May God strengthen our shared witness for unity and peace in
this season of mourning and prayer."

The full text of Kinnamon's message can be downloaded at
http://www.ncccusa.org/pdfs/MKtucsonresponseletter.pdf.

Since its founding in 1950, the National Council of the Churches of Christ in
the USA has been the leading force for shared ecumenical witness among Christians
in the United States. The NCC's 37 member communions -- from a wide spectrum of
Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, Evangelical, historic African American and Living
Peace churches -- include 45 million persons in more than 100,000 local
congregations in communities across the nation.

NCC News contact: Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office), 646-853-4212 (cell),
pjenks@ncccusa.org